Morgan Haakma : Bachelor of Sport and Leisure Studies (BSPLS)
Former Sacred Heart Girls’ College student from New Plymouth, Morgan Haakma is in her third year studying a Bachelor of Health, Sport and Human Performance at Waikato. She started wakeboarding and competing at the age of 10 and has been hooked on the sport ever since. Morgan continues to be inspired by her coach Brad Smeele, a world champion wakeboarder who has recently become a quadriplegic. Morgan is sponsored by O’Brien Wakeboards NZ, Freestyle Watches NZ, and Aspire Chiropractors in Hamilton, and says she is incredibly thankful for their continued support. This support, along with encouragement from her parents helps her continue to push herself and strive to be on top. At high school, Morgan was a house leader and part of the Sport Taranaki Future Champions Talent I.D. Program. She has been involved with a lot of charity work and has volunteered at the YMCA Kindy Gym and School Holiday Programme, Sport Taranaki ‘Movables’ Gymnastics Program, and many other events. Morgan has traveled to Sydney, Orlando, and Mexico, North Carolina and Toronto to compete, and some of her achievements include first place at the WWA Wakeboarding World Championships in the Amateur Woman's Division in Toronto, Canada 2017, first place at the Shred the Gnar Wake Classic Series Round One in North Carolina 2017, 1st in the Open Women's Division at the New Zealand National Cable Wakeboarding Championships 2017, and rode for New Zealand at the Wakeboarding World Championships in Mexico 2015, where she finished seventeenth in the Junior Ladies division. She has also won many titles in New Zealand including multiple gold medals in Junior Woman’s (Under 19) at the Wakeboarding New Zealand National Champs, first in Junior Woman’s at the Backpaddock Lakes Cable vs Wake Competition, and first in Junior Women’s at the North Island champs. Morgan was named in the train on team for the IWWF World Champs in Mexico 2018. Morgan is currently on an exchange at the University of North Carolina Wilmington where she is training and riding in the competition series.
- 2nd place Born in the 90's Division - 13/03/2016
- At the Go Girls Division in Mangakino. First ever all girls wakeboarding competition in New Zealand.
- 1st Junior Woman's Division, Wakeboarding New Zealand National Champs 2016 - 02/04/2016
Held at Piarere Waterski Club on Lake Karapiro on the 1st and 2nd of April 2016. From this result, I was also named in the train on team for the IWWF Wakeboarding World Championships which will be held in Spain 2017. Nationals 2017's results will determine the official team.
- 1st Straight Air Girls Division, Urban Edge Open Competition - 03/12/2016
Held at Orakei Korako, Lake Ohakuri. Was the first competition for the New Zealand season.
- 1st Mixed Woman Division, Cable Vs. Wake - 12/02/2017
Cable Vs. Wake Competition, Backpaddock Lakes, Waipukurau.
- 1st Mixed Woman Division, North Island Championships - 26/02/2017
Lake Maraitai, Mangakino
- 1st Junior Woman Division, Taupo Wake Park Cable Comp - 18/03/2017
Was a cable competition held at the Taupo Wake Park.
- 1st Mixed Woman Division, New Zealand National Championships - 25/03/2017
Held at Lake Maraitai, Mangakino
- 1st Open Woman, NZ Cable Wakeboarding Nationals - 30/04/2017
New Zealand Cable Wakeboarding National Championships held 28-30 April at Rixen Cableways NZ, Onehunga Bay Reserve, Auckland. This is my first Open Woman's title!
- 1st Place Ladies Division, Shred the Gnar Wake Classic Series, Round 1, Boiling Spring Lakes, North Carolina, U.S.A. - 22/07/2017
Shred the Gnar Wake Classic Series - Round One, held in Boiling Spring Lakes, North Carolina, USA.
- 2nd Place Ladies Division, Shred the Gnar Wake Classic Series, Round 2, Bath, North Carolina, U.S.A. - 12/08/2017
Shred the Gnar Wake Classic Series - Round Two, held in Bath, North Carolina, USA.
- First Place Amateur Woman's Division, WWA Wakeboarding World Championship, Toronto, Canada 2017 - 26/08/2017
Held in Toronto, Canada 2017, International event.
- 3rd Place Woman's Intermediate, INT Competition, Lake Gaston, North Carolina, U.S.A. - 30/09/2017
Held at Lake Gaston, North Carolina, USA, under the INT competition format.