Sarah Young : Bachelor of Communication Studies (BCS)
Sarah is an Equestrian with her main discipline being Eventer, this requires a huge amount of time in training not only her horses, but keeping herself fit for competition as well - training six days a week, often including two days of competition and regular squad trainings with the NZ HP Talent Development Squad. She’s achieved a number of regional and national titles, some of these include; back-to-back National Young Rider Three Day Eventing Champion 2014 & 2015, National Young Rider One Day Eventing Champion 2015, member of winning NZ Young Rider Oceania Eventing team 2015, South Waikato Sportswoman of the Year 2014 & 2015, Waikato Secondary Schools’ Equestrian Sport Woman of the Year 2013, National Junior Rider One Day Eventing Champion 2012 and received Best Junior Rider at the Puhinui International Three Day Event 2012 & 2013. At Forest View High School in Tokoroa Sarah was the Supreme Sportswoman of the Year in 2012 & 2013, where she also played netball for her junior years and was a member of the Academic and Community Service Committees. Sarah is studying a Bachelor of Communication Studies in her third year. In the future she sees herself carving out a career in business and hopes to continue to build on her equestrian success representing NZ at a senior level and competing in the UK to further her riding career.
- SI 3DE CCI1* Winner - 28/04/2014
- National South Island Three Day Event held in Christchurch New Zealand. This along with other achievements throughout the season has helped me gain a position in the NZ Young Rider Trans-Tasman team to compete in Australia early June 2014.
- Kihikihi CIC2* - 2nd - 28/04/2014
- Kihikihi International Horse Trial held at Kihikihi domain New Zealand. I was placed 2nd on a horse I have self produced through the grades and was also 7th on my second mount. This placing along with other results from the season has helped me gain a position in the NZ Young Rider Trans Tasman team to compete in Australia early June 2014.
- Puhinui CNC1* Winner - 08/03/2014
- Puhinui National Horse Trial held at Puhinui Reserve.
- Oceania YR Team Member - 05/06/2014
- A team of 4 of New Zealand's best Young Riders was selected to compete at Melbourne International Three Day Event in the CCI2* Class. I was a member of this team and we competed against some of Australia's best riders from of all ages. It was a class of 40 competitors ranging from Young Riders like ourselves through to past Olympic and World Equestrian Games members.
- South Waikato Junior Sportswoman of the Year - 10/11/2014
- The South Waikato District Awards dinner held at the Events Center in Tokoroa on the 10th of November where I had been nominated and was the recipent of the South Waikato Junior Sportswoman of the Year Award for my achievements over the last 12 months both International and National.
- National Young Rider Three Day Event Champion - 07/12/2014
- At the Puhinui International Three Day Event 2014 I took out the CCI2** Young Rider title crowning me as the National Young Rider Three Day Event Champion 2014/2015. The past winners of this title have gone on to represent NZ at Senior level and have been medal receivers at the Olympic and World Equestrian Games.
- Young Rider of the Year - 3rd - 20/03/2015
- The Young Rider of the Year title is contested at the Horse of the Year show which is NZ's biggest national show for all disciplines. Competitors in this class were up to the age of 21 and we were jumping a 3 round course course set between 1.35m and 1.45m.
- 2* Eventer of the Year - 3rd - 21/03/2015
- The 2* Eventer of the Year title was contested by 36 combinations ranging from all levels and age groups. The winner was a NZ team bronze medalist at the 2012 WEG. The event was held at the Horse of the Year show in Hastings. This is a highly contested event and is a targeted event for the season heading into NZ team selection. I was the highest placed young rider.
- National Young Rider One Day Event Champion - 02/05/2015
- National Young Rider One Day Event Championships contested 12 of NZ best young riders (under 21) held on the 2nd and 3rd of May in Bulls. The competition was held at CIC2* level and I was competing against my team members for the upcoming Oceania Young Rider competition.
- Young Rider Oceania Champions - 15/05/2015
- The Oceania young rider competition was held in NZ this year at the Taupo National Three Day Event championships in the CCI2* class. The class contested of 48 all age combinations including the 4 Australian and 4 NZ young riders.
- National Young Rider Three Day Event Champion - 13/12/2015
Held at the Puhinui International Three Day Event. I am now the back-to-back National Young Rider Three Day Event Champion held this year against 11 combinations under 21 years old.
- Horse of the Year 3* - 5th - 05/03/2016
Completed my first CIC3* to finish in 5th place behind Rio Olympic hopeful and other high achieving experineced combinations. Held in Hastings against all age groups of both male and female.
- Young Rider of the Year SJ - 5th - 04/03/2016
Against 30+ riders 21 years and under. Held is Hastings this is the pinnacle of SJ in NZ.
- Puhinui International Three Day Event - 11/12/2016
Held at Puhinui Reserve in Auckland Puhinui is 1 of only 2 International events held in New Zealand. This year I was 2nd in the CCN105 Championship and won the Best Young Rider for this level.
- Taupo Horse Trials - 09/10/2016
One of our National competitions where I won both the CIC1* class and the CNC95 class.
- Woodhill Express Eventing - 13/11/2016
Auckland. I too 3 horses who were each competing at different levels and all won their class - CNC1*+, CNC1* and CNC105.