Connect Your Laptop to the Waikato Network (cabled & wireless)
NOTE: A reminder that the use of these facilities is subject to the University of Waikato Computer Regulations. http://calendar.waikato.ac.nz/policies/computersystems.html
These guidelines apply to both staff and students.
- Using a Cable Connection
- Using a Wireless Connection
- How to Set - Obtain IP address Automatically
- How to add the .PAC file
Using a Cable Connection
- Plug the live data cable into the laptop data cable port
- Ensure you laptop is set up to Obtain an IP address automatically. This is the default setting (see below).
At this point you will be able to access the University network - Waikato e.g. web pages and other network locations inside our firewall.
If you wish to go outside the University firewall e.g. the Internet, then students need to install the .PAC file as shown below. Staff do not need to do this unless their local School or Department area (still) requires it.
Both staff and students who need the .PAC file will then need to authenticate with their current active username and password when they attempt to access the Internet.
Staff who do not need the .PAC file will usually be able to access the Internet from their logged in University PC without further authentication.
If you don't know whether you need the .PAC file put in the browser or not, see your local computer person or just try both ways i.e. with and without.
Using a Wireless Connection
Most recent laptops have wireless access built into them which can be turned on and off at request (by way of a switch or key combination).
One of the below symbols will be displayed in your task bar. Click on this to display your Wireless Network Connections.
Choose the wireless connection you want to connect. For staff this will be Eduroam, and for students it will be either UOW Students or UOW Halls. We now also have UOW Guest for guests.
NOTE: you will need to have authority to connect to these wireless connections e.g. be a current staff member, be a current student or have a UoW staff member sponsor your guest access.
For instructions on how to connect your laptop to a specific wireless network, please see our Self Help Guides
How to Set - "Obtain an IP address automatically"
- In a Windows environment open the Control Panel and open Network Connections.
- Right click the Local Network Connection window and select Properties
- Then select (click on) Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and click the Properties button.
- Ensure that Obtain an IP address automatically is selected.
- Save your settings.
- Restart your computer.
How to Add the PAC File
the Waikato PAC file is used as a proxy configuration if your laptop or device is unable to connect to the internet. By default most computers will no longer require this be added to the settings on their browser.
For Internet Explorer:
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click on Tools – Internet Options
- Click on the Connections tab.
- Click on LAN Settings
- Tick Use Automatic Configuration Script and type the following in the space provided for the address: http://www.waikato.ac.nz/waikato.pac
For Mozilla Firefox:
- Open Tools – Options
- Click on Advanced – Network - Settings
- Tick Automatic Proxy Configuration URL and type in http://waikato.ac.nz/waikato.pac in the field provided.
NOTE: Remove the above when you are not using the laptop at the University, otherwise your Internet Traffic will be charged (and use student UniCash) via the University system wherever you are!
Log Your Own Ticket
The University has provided a Self Service tool through which you can log your own tickets (jobs). You can also search for a previously logged ticket to check it's status. For urgent jobs you can phone the ITS Service Desk: ext 4008 (838 4008) for support.