Outlook - Unable to Send / Receive Email
After a network outage or some other unknown network interruption your Outlook client may stop working correctly. It may be Working Offline or simply not sending or receiving mail.
The 2 most common fixes in cases such as these you can fix yourself by following the steps below.
- Open outlook
- Click the "Send / Receive" tab
- If "Work Offline" is highlighted in orange (as in the above screen shot) click it once.
- The "Work Offline" button should now not be highlighted in orange (as in the below screen shot)
Note: the white/red "x" will always show whether or not Outlook is online/offline
You should now be receiving/sending email again. (wait 30sec – 1min) If you are still unable to send / receive any email follow the below steps
- Make sure Outlook is closed
- Right click the task bar (Or press Ctrl + Alt + Del on your keyboard)
- Select "Start Task Manager"
- Select the "Processes" Tab
- Locate & click/select the "OUTLOOK.EXE" process
- Click "End Process" then "End Process" again on the pop up
Restart Outlook and your mail should start coming through again.
If this doesn't fix your issue you will need to call the Service Desk (838 4008).
Due to a recent change with Google Authentication, whenever you change your password, Google required re-authentication for access to sync emails to Outlook. If the above Offline Mode settings is not causing the issue, then you will need to do the following steps:
- Restart Outlook
- After outlook starts, wait a few seconds and a window prompt from Google will appear. Click Continue
- A new web browser window will open and Google will ask for you to accept permissions. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Accept.
- Google will then show the Permissions accepted page. Once this is displayed. Close the window and switch back to Outlook.
- Wait 30 seconds and the emails will begin to sync through to outlook again.
Log Your Own Ticket
The University has provided a Self Service tool through which you can log your own tickets (jobs). You can also search for a previously logged ticket to check it's status. For urgent jobs you can phone the ITS Service Desk: ext 4008 (838 4008) for support.