Guests from another University participating in the Eduroam wireless network can login to Eduroam using their home institution network login and password. See Wireless Access for Staff & Guests.
The University has established a Guest network for use by other visitors to the campus that require Internet access for presentations, guest lectures, etc. The guest network connectivity is available via the UOW Guest wireless network, or via wired network ports by request (please log your guest network port patch requests with the ITS Service Desk).
Guest network access requires authorisation by a University staff member (NOT to a Service Desk, department or generic account e.g. hdo, wmshelp etc) who will be responsible for the guest’s use of the network. Authorised access is provided in 24 hour increments. Once the 24 hours passes the device will automatically be de-registered. Registration is done per device.
Note: Sponsor emails MUST be firstname.lastname@example.org. DO NOT use email@example.com as this will not send the email for access.
Access to the UOW Guest WiFi network works as follows (device screen below):
- Guests connect their devices to the UOW Guest wireless network, just like they would connect to any other WiFi network.
- Guests will then be prompted to “sign-in” to access the guest network and/or access request browser page will appear. (NB. Depending on the previous page the user was viewing on their devices default web browser they may receive an SSL error when the guest network access request web page is displayed – this is normal browser SSL behaviour and users can accept and close any warnings.)
- Guests enter their name (firstname and lastname), their email address and the sponsor’s email address (the email address of the staff member ( NOT to a Service Desk, department or generic account e.g. hdo, wmshelp etc) who will authorise their guest network access), click the checkbox to “accept the terms”, and then click the “Register through a Sponsor” button.
- The guest will then see a web page advising that their access is awaiting sponsor approval.
- The sponsor will receive an email advising their guest has requested guest network access. On clicking the link in the email the sponsoring staff member will need to login to the authorisation page (using their normal UOW username and password) where they can approve the guest’s access.
- The guest should then gain guest network Internet access shortly (up to 5 minutes) thereafter and can disconnect and reconnect to the UOW Guest WiFi throughout the 24 hour period without re-authorisation.
Log Your Own Ticket
The University has provided a Self Service tool through which you can log your own tickets (jobs). You can also search for a previously logged ticket to check it's status. For urgent jobs you can phone the ITS Service Desk: ext 4008 (838 4008) for support.