Signs to look out for a virus infection...
One of the main problems with viruses or worms is they can go undetected, especially if you are not running an antivirus program which would catch the virus immediately. Below are some key signs that your computing system may be infected by a virus or worm, and what to do to solve the problem:
Signs that your system might be infected or compromised
- Your computer system shuts down spontaneously and frequently, even if you don't use it
- Your Internet connection slows to a crawl even while you are not doing anything significant
- Your antivirus software crashes and cannot be started again
- You are no longer able to visit antivirus sites
- Your hard disk fills up and you can't find the files that use up all the disk space
- Your computer seems to be displaying an inability to start (boot up) or taking longer than normal to start
- Your computer is exhibiting unpredictable program behaviour
- Strange graphics appear on your screen
- You get an abnormally large Internet usage bill.