Tips for hardening computers
- Patch your Microsoft operating system automatically.
- Patch Adobe products such as Adobe reader regularly.
- Uninstall any software you don't need on your computer.
- Use strong passwords or passphrases for all user accounts on your PC.
- Use and properly maintain good antivirus software, and optionally anti-spyware software.
- Use a firewall, such as Microsoft Windows built-in software firewall.
- Do not open suspicious email attachments or respond to suspicious requests.
- If you're not using it, disable the Windows File and Printer Sharing service.
- Lock your PC's screen when you step away, and shut down your computer when you'll be gone for more than 4 hours.
- Where possible, consider using a web browser other than Internet Explorer, and treat all "free" software with suspicion.
<< Securing your computer | Mobile Phone Security >>