Professor Barry Barton
Professor, Research Centre Director - CEREL (Law)
Qualifications: BA LLB (Hons) Auckland LLM British Columbia
Professor Barton graduated from the University of Auckland with a BA in Geography and an LLB (Hons) and practiced law in Auckland for some years. At the University of British Columbia, in Vancouver, Canada, he completed an LLM under Professor Andrew Thompson.
Professor Barton then went on to the Canadian Institute of Resources Law, based in the Faculty of Law of the University of Calgary. Over a period of seven years, his research included legal aspects of water, oil and gas, surface rights, northern and indigenous issues and mining. In 1991, he moved back to New Zealand to come to the new School of Law at Waikato University.
Papers I Teach
- Environmental Law
- Natural Resources Law
- Energy Law
Professor Barton welcomes applications for doctoral and graduate supervision for any subject within these areas.
Climate; Environmental Law; Environmental Politics; Law; Natural Resources
Barrera-Hernández, L., Barton, B. J., Godden, L., Lucas, A., & Rønne, A. (2017). Sharing the Costs and Benefits of Energy and Resource Activity: a new book by SEERIL’s Academic Advisory Group. Journal of Energy and Natural Resources Law. doi:10.1080/02646811.2017.1293905
Barton, B. J. (2016). Electric Vehicles Policy Announcement. New Zealand Law Journal, 7, 268-270.
Barton, B., & Schütte, P. (2016). Electric vehicles: Promoting improvements in transport. New Zealand Law Journal, (1), 6-10.
Barton, B. (2016). Different kinds of argument for applying property law to resource consents. Resource Management Journal, 2016(April), 1-4. Retrieved from http://www.rmla.org.nz/librarydoc/index/category/3 Open Access version: hdl:10289/10276
Find more research publications by Barry Barton
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Barton, Prof Barry||4187||barton||N.4.03||Law, Faculty of|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5 or 9 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 8: dial +64 7 557 extension (TAURANGA exts only)
- Calling between campuses add 37 to the front of the extension
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Using the campus map to locate their room