EndNote is bibliographic software used to automatically format references (citations) downloaded from databases, library catalogues, or created manually. You will find more information on the EndNote Website or check out the FAQ below to find instructions and details specific to the University of Waikato.
The software will allow you to:
- Export citations from databases, Library Search and Google Scholar into EndNote
- Attach PDFs of articles to a record in EndNote-store (manually or using find full-text feature)
- Arrange citations in groups
- Use the EndNote toolbar in Word to insert in-text citations and create a list of references automatically
- Create and sync citations between EndNote desktop and EndNote Web
- Share EndNote libraries with other
What's new in EndNote?
See the EndNote Video Training to find out about the new features of EndNote.
Upgrading to the latest version of EndNote
IMPORTANT: Backup any styles, import filters and connection files that you don't want overwritten.
It is recommended that you uninstall earlier versions of EndNote before upgrading to the latest version. UoW Referencing Styles may be downloaded here.
For more information about EndNote compatibility, please visit EndNote Support.
The University of Waikato has a site licence that allows students to download and install EndNote on personal computers.
- Download EndNote
- For technical/installation assistance, contact the ITS Service Desk on (07) 838 4008 or by email (email@example.com).
- For EndNote training and ongoing support, contact your Academic Liaison Librarian.
EndNote is installed on the majority of University computers. Contact the ITS Service Desk if you require an installation or an upgrade (07) 838 4008 or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
University of Waikato Referencing Styles
Output styles are the referencing styles used to control the formatting of references in a bibliography. UoW styles are NOT automatically loaded in the EndNote programme. Library staff have created or adapted styles for APA 6th, MHRA, Harvard Science, Harvard Geography, Law, Anthropology and Politics. Find them at the UoW EndNote Support webpage and save the Styles you require. (See Where do I save?)
A complete list of styles is available on the EndNote Output Styles page
Where do I Save?
Depending on your computer operating system, your downloaded Styles need to be saved in a folder outside the C drive. You will need to create a folder in Document and save there.
Next, go to Preferences in your EndNote Library >> Folder locations >> and change to this new folder location. You will now find the Style in the drop-down menu in EndNote.