EndNote is bibliographic software used to automatically format references (citations) downloaded from databases, library catalogues, or created manually. You will find more information on the EndNote Website or check out the FAQ below to find instructions and details specific to the University of Waikato Library.
The software will allow you to:
- import citations from databases, library catalogues and Google Scholar
- store citations in groups
- use the EndNote toolbar to insert in-text citations and create a list of references automatically
- save PDF copies of articles in a citation record in EndNote
- find full-text articles in PDF format
- search and annotate PDFs
- sync citations between EndNote Web and EndNote
What's new in EndNote?
See the EndNote Video Training to find out about the new features of EndNote.
Upgrading to the latest version of EndNote
IMPORTANT: Backup any styles, import filters and connection files that you don't want overwritten.
It is recommended that you uninstall earlier versions of EndNote before upgrading to the latest version. UoW styles, filters and connection files may be downloaded from UoW EndNote Support page.
For more information about EndNote compatibility, please visit EndNote Support.
Getting a Copy of EndNote
The University of Waikato has a site licence that allows students to download and install EndNote on personal computers, enabling you to use EndNote both on and off campus.
- Download EndNote
- For technical/installation assistance, contact the ITS Service Desk on (07) 838 4008 or by email (email@example.com).
- For EndNote training and ongoing support, contact your Subject Librarian.
The University of Waikato has a site licence that allows students to download and install EndNote on personal computers free of charge.
EndNote is installed on the majority of University computers; if EndNote is not installed on a computer you are using, please contact the computer support person for your department/faculty.
Styles, Filters and Connection Files
Output styles are the referencing styles that are used to control the formatting of references in a bibliography. UoW styles are NOT automatically loaded in the EndNote programme. Library staff have created styles for APA 6th, MHRA, Harvard Science, Harvard Geography, Law, Anthropology and Politics. Find them at the UoW EndNote Support webpage and save the styles you require. (See Where do I save?)
The complete list of styles is available on the EndNote Output Styles page
Filters are available freely from many websites. We recommend the EndNote website.
Where do I Save?
Depending on your computer operating system, your files can be saved according to the paths listed below.
Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8
C:\Documents and Settings\(your login)\My Documents\EndNote\Styles\
EndNote Help and Guides
- EndNote Guide - Mac [ 2.4 MB ]
- EndNote Guide - PC [ 1.7 MB ]