Dr Arama Rata
Qualifications: BSc(Hons), PhD Victoria
Dr Rata is of Ngāti Maniapoto, Taranaki, and Ngāruahine descent. She completed her PhD in Psychology at Victoria University of Wellington in 2012, which focused on Māori cultural engagement, identity, and psychological well-being in State secondary schools. Arama then lectured at Te Kawa a Māui (the School of Māori Studies), where she received a Research Establishment Grant to study Māori collective remembering of the New Zealand Wars. Dr Rata is currently involved with research relating to Māori health experiences, Māori in rural communities, as well as iwi consultancy.
Mercier, O. R., & Rata, A. (2017). Drawing the line with Google Earth: the place of digital mapping outside of geography. Journal of Geography in Higher Education, 41(1), 75-93. doi:10.1080/03098265.2016.1260097
Masters-Awatere, B., Cormack, D., Brown, R., Boulton, A., Guifford, H., Rata, A., & Tangitu-Joseph, M. (2017). Hospital transfers: Maintaining whānau involvement in the healing equation. In He Manawa Whenua Indigenous Research Conference. Conference held at Claudelands Event Centre, Hamilton, New Zealand.
Kukutai, T., & Rata, A. (2017). From mainstream to manaaki: Indigenising our approach to immigration. In D. Hall (Ed.), Fair Borders? Migration Policy in the Twenty-First Century (pp. 26-44). Wellington, New Zealand: Bridget Williams Books. Open Access version: hdl:10289/11427
Rata, A. (2015). The Māori identity migration model. MAI Journal, 4(1), 1-12.
Find more research publications by Arama Rata
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Rata, Dr Arama||4913||arata||K.3.27||National Institute Demographic Economic|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5 or 9 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 8: dial +64 7 557 extension (TAURANGA exts only)
- Calling between campuses add 37 to the front of the extension
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Using the campus map to locate their room