Appointment and Employment of Relatives or Close Friends of Staff Members Policy
Responsibility for policy: Director of Human Resource Management
Approving authority: Vice-Chancellor
Last reviewed: November 2014
Next review date: November 2019
- This policy applies to all staff of the University of Waikato.
- The purpose of this policy is to:
- ensure that applicants for positions at the University of Waikato are treated fairly
- ensure that the University maintains its commitment to equal opportunity and is a good employer
- manage potential conflicts of interest with respect to the recruitment and employment of relatives or close friends, and
- minimise any risk of accusations of nepotism or preferential treatment with respect to recruitment or employment practices.
- This policy should be read in conjunction with the following:
- Staff members must not be involved in the selection or appointment of relatives or close friends.
- Staff members must not have a reporting relationship with a relative or close friend.
- Staff members must not be involved in professional goal-setting, promotion, advancement, salary review or performance review processes associated with a relative or close friend.
- A staff member who identifies the prospect of a conflict of interest, whether actual or perceived, arising from the potential selection, appointment or employment of a relative or close friend must notify his or her line manager at the earliest opportunity.
- A line manager who is made aware of a conflict of interest under this policy must determine, in consultation with the relevant Human Resource Management advisor, the appropriate response, and if appropriate, the best means of managing the conflict.
Responsibility for monitoring compliance
- The Director of Human Resource Management is responsible for monitoring compliance with this policy and reporting any breaches to the Vice-Chancellor.
- Breaches of this policy may result in disciplinary action under the Staff Code of Conduct.