Space Allocation and Management Policy
Responsibility for policy: Director of Facilities Management
Approving authority: Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor
Last reviewed: March 2014
Next review date: March 2019
- This policy applies to all staff of the University of Waikato.
- The purpose of this policy is to reflect the University's commitment to providing high-quality facilities to support excellence in teaching, learning, research and related operational activities, and to ensure appropriate, equitable and cost-effective allocation of space for staff to carry out their responsibilities.
Allocation of office space for staff
- The guidelines for allocation of office space are as follows:
- Each staff member is entitled to a maximum of one office or workspace unless approved otherwise by the Director of Facilities Management.
- General staff and part-time academic staff may be required to share office space.
- The following provisions apply with respect to office space in new buildings:
- single occupancy office - minimum size of 9m²
- shared occupancy office - minimum size of 10m², with a minimum of 5m² of space per person
- staff in open plan office situations - minimum size of 6m² per person.
- For office space in existing buildings, the same standards as for new buildings (3.c. above) will apply wherever practicable.
- Authority to allocate space rests with the Director of Facilities Management.
- Wherever practicable, meeting rooms must be centrally bookable spaces, with staff designated locally to manage the bookings.
- The University provides a number of centrally-serviced tea rooms; where staff do not have ready access to a centrally-serviced tea room, the Director of Facilities Management will arrange for tea and coffee making facilities to be provided.
- Other support spaces such as resource rooms, stationery rooms, copier bays and reception areas will be provided at the discretion of the Director of Facilities Management in consultation with the relevant manager.
Requests for additional space
- Requests for additional space beyond a Faculty/Division's (or equivalent) allocation must be referred by the relevant Dean, Director or equivalent to the Director of Facilities Management.
- Any request under section 8 that requires new buildings or new infrastructure and is supported by the Director of Facilities Management, must be considered and decided by the Capital Asset Committee through its planning and budget processes.
- Authority to approve any request under section 9 that does not require new buildings or new infrastructure rests with the Director of Facilities Management.
Central management of teaching space
- The Assistant Vice-Chancellor (Student and Information Services) is responsible for the timetabling of all teaching spaces, including lecture rooms, tutorial rooms and teaching laboratories.
Utilisation of allocated space
- The Director of Facilities Management has authority to conduct regular audits of space utilisation across the campus, and refer any relevant recommendations to the Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor.
- A Faculty/Division (or equivalent) may not make its allocated space available for use by a third party without prior approval by the Director of Facilities Management.
- Any alterations, additions or physical changes to allocated space or any built-in infrastructure must be carried out by Facilities Management Division or its agents.
- Appeals against decisions by the Director of Facilities Management under this policy must be directed to the Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor.