Chairperson Induction and Support
This page has been designed as an index for Chairpersons of Department or School to provide quick links to important information they need to be an effective leader and manager within their Faculty or School. Note that external links can often change so please report any broken links or suggest additional content which might be added.
Please click the and arrows to show and hide text.
New Zealand legislation must be complied with and supercedes all other considerations. There are many University policies which support legislation and indicate how the University will ensure compliance. All policies and practices must meet the minimum requirements established by legislation, but in some cases policy may include additional requirements or benefits. This list is not exhaustive, but provides a quick snapshot of some legislation you need to be aware of. (Key concepts are indicated within parentheses.) Always seek expert advice with regard to legislation and best practice.
- Education Act - Section 13 onward (Council, Academic Board, funding, student fees, student associations)
- State Sector Act (concept of good employer, requirement to have an eeo programme, needs and aspiration of Maori staff)
- Public Finance Act (concepts of accrual accounting, need for annual auditing)
- Holidays Act (employees must be given/take leave). See the Leave Policy.
- Parental Leave and Employment Protection Act. See the Leave Policy.
- Human Rights Act (dealing with harassment, preventing discrimination, eeo)
- Equal Pay Act
- Privacy Act (gathering and protecting personal information)
- Health and Safety at Work Act (risk management, hazard control, accident reporting, employee representation and participation, employer/employee obligations)
- Injury Prevention , Rehabilitation and Compensation Act (ACC and work injury obligations)
- Employment Relations Act (good faith, respect and dignity, union membership, bargaining, dispute resolution, performance management). See your HR Adviser if you need help.
- Protected Disclosures Act (whistle blowing)
- Copyright Act
It is useful to have an awareness of the wider context within which New Zealand universities operate. This list of external agencies is not exhaustive, so please advise if there are other links we should include.
We have compiled a list of responsibilities which have been delegated to Chairpersons within a number of University policies and can be viewed here. Note that this list includes specific responsibilities of Chairpersons and more general responsibilities of line managers, so both areas are applicable to Chairpersons.
- Employment and HR Matters
- Staff Performance and Professional Development Policy
- Academic Workloads Guidelines
- H&S related
- Leave Policy (including Parental Leave)
- Financial and Management
- Procurement Policy
- P-Card Policy
- ICT Equipment and Procurement Policy
- Financial Authority
- Records Management Policy
- Corporate Data Management Policy
- Rental Vehicles