Football / Futsal
Waikato Unicol AFC
Formed in 1960, Waikato Unicol AFC is the player-governed football club based at the University of Waikato. The club features both competitive and social men’s and women’s teams, and both tertiary students and community members are able to join.
The premier men’s and women’s teams compete in the Waikato Bay of Plenty (WaiBOP) Premiership League against premier club teams from the wider Waikato and Bay of Plenty areas. The premier-reserve men compete in the second tier WaiBOP league, while the remaining club teams enter various Waikato Football divisions.
2018 Trial Dates
- Men's Premier, Reserves and Development Squad Trials are on Wednesday 7th, Thursday 8th, Monday 12th and Thursday 15th February.
- Men's Waikato B Division and lower Trials are on Thursday 1st, Tuesday 6th and Wednesday 7th March.
- Women's Federation Trials are on Friday 16th February.
- Women's B Division Muster is on Thursday 8th March.
Contact: Robyn Slade, firstname.lastname@example.org
Waikato Unicol AFC is a member of University of Waikato Sports Clubs (UWSC)
Each year, University of Waikato students get the opportunity to join Team Waikato and represent the University of Waikato at the University and Tertiary Sport NZ (UTSNZ) National Tertiary Futsal Championships.
The annual three-day tournament is held on April 13 - 15 in Christchurch in 2018.
In 2016, the Waikato men’s team came second and two players were selected to represent New Zealand at the World University Futsal Championships in Brazil. In 2017, the UoW Women's team placed 3rd, with the men's team finishing 4th.
You can register your interest by emailing: email@example.com
Social Sport is one of Hamilton’s premier social competitions and takes place on campus at the University of Waikato. Offering a range of sports including Futsal and six-a-side Football, Social Sport caters for all levels of sporting ability.
As part of the Social Sport Indoor Series, Futsal takes place between March – October, with all games being played at UniRec (Gate 1, Knighton Road):
- Six week leagues
- Sundays, 12.00pm – 9.00pm
- 45 minute games
- Mixed teams (at least one person of each gender on the pitch at all times)
- Five players on pitch (maximum of ten per team)
Six-a-side Football is part of the Social Sport Outdoor Series and takes place between October – February, with all games being played on the University of Waikato fields:
- 14 week league
- Tuesdays and/or Wednesdays, 5.40pm – 8.00pm
- 35 or 45 minute games
- Mixed teams (at least one person of each gender on the field at all times)
- Six players on field (maximum of ten per team)
For more information, visit the Social Sport website
Waikato University Football Academy (WUFA)
Talented footballers can apply to join the Waikato University Football Academy (WUFA). This academy is designed to allow players to train full-time with professional coaches whilst studying towards a degree.