Dr Elaine Khoo
Senior Research Fellow
PhD, University of Waikato, New Zealand
MA (Psychology), Vanderbilt University, USA
BEd (Hons) (Major: Guidance & Counselling, minor: TESL), Agricultural University of Malaysia, Malaysia (now known as Universiti Putra Malaysia)
Elaine's research interests include teaching and learning in information and communication technologies (ICTs) and online learning environments at the classroom and tertiary levels with particular interests in online learning communities and communities of practice as effective approaches in online teaching and learning environments.
I am a Senior Research Fellow at the Wilf Malcolm Institute of Educational Research (WMIER) in the Faculty of Education at Waikato University. I have research interests in teaching and learning in information and communication technologies (ICTs) including online and Web 2.0 based environments. My PhD research, focused on effective online pedagogies with particular interests in online learning communities, provides the ground for my interests. I have worked as a researcher on a number of externally funded research projects associated with these interests across the primary, secondary and tertiary levels. I have led/ co-led two externally funded and innovative projects that have extended understandings in this field. My interests also include participatory learning cultures and collaborative research, including work with the national and international Collaborative Action Research Network (CARN). One of my key life aspirations is to encourage teachers and learners to see the potential of different ICTs for enhancing teaching and learning and how they can realistically adopt ICTs to transform their teaching and learning practices.
I previously worked as a lecturer in Malaysia at Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS) at the Faculty of Cognitive Sciences and Human Development. I had been Head of the Learning Technology Core research Group and Programme Coordinator for the undergraduate Teacher Education Programme as well as collaborated on a range of local and international research in effective ICT-based learning environments.
- New Zealand Association for Research in Education (NZARE)
- Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Distance Education Association of New Zealand (DEANZ)
- New Zealand Collaborative Action and Research Network (NZCA and RN)
- Editorial board member for Video Journal of Education and Pedagogy
- Reviewer for E-Learning and Digital Media, International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning (IRRODL), Australasian Journal of Educational Technology (AJET), Journal of Open, Flexible and Distance Learning (JOFDL), Waikato Journal of Education (WJE), International Journal of Inclusive Education, International Journal of Computer-Assisted Language Learning and Teaching(IJCALLT), GlobalLearn conferences (2010-2011).
- Guest co-editor for Computers in New Zealand Schools(CINZS), August 2012 special issue on Assessment and ICTs: Innovative practices and future possibilities
Cowie, B., & Khoo, E. (2017). Accountability through access, authenticity and advocacy when researching with young children. International Journal of Inclusive Education, 1-14. doi:10.1080/13603116.2016.1260821
Khoo, E. G. L. (2017). iPad-supported learning and development for a child with mild cerebral palsy. In N. Kucirkova, & G. Falloon (Eds.), Apps, Technology and Younger Learners (pp. 167-182). Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group.
Cowie, B., & Khoo, E. G. L. (2016). Towards an ecological understanding of support for science learning. In NZARE Annual Conference 2016: The politics of learning. Conference held at Victoria University, Wellington, New Zealand.
Cowie, B. M., & Khoo, E. (2016). Reconfiguring and reconceptualising blurring boundaries. In The 47th Annual ASERA Conference. Conference held at QT Hotel, Canberra, Australia.
Find more research publications by Elaine Khoo
Computers and Education; Distance Learning; Education; Education Research; E-Education; E-Learning; Learning; Learning and Education; Learning Environment; Pedagogy; Teaching and Learning; Teaching Online; Tertiary Education
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Khoo, Dr Elaine||6260||ekhoo||TW.1.09||Wilf Malcolm Institute of Educat|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5 or 9 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 8: dial +64 7 557 extension (TAURANGA exts only)
- Calling between campuses add 37 to the front of the extension
- Emailing email@example.com
- Using the campus map to locate their room