Special Consideration for Impaired Performance or Missed Examination
Special consideration is available to students who are either:
- prevented from sitting University examinations due to circumstances beyond their control;
- are seriously impaired in either their examination performance;
- are seriously impaired in their preparation for an examination.
The Assessment and Graduation Office is responsible for the special consideration process for formal examinations only. For missed or impaired performance in items of internal assessment, including tests, applications should be made in writing to the examiner of the relevant paper no later than three days after the date on which the item of internal assessment is due.
Who can apply for special consideration?
You may apply for special consideration if your situation falls under one of the three provisions below:
- absence from an examination - you have been prevented from sitting an examination by circumstances beyond your control;
- serious impairment to examination performance - you consider your examination performance has been seriously impaired by illness, injury, personal bereavement or any other critical circumstance;
- serious impairment to examination preparation - you consider your examination preparation has been seriously affected by an illness or trauma, for which you are under continuous and well documented care by a qualified person, e.g. a medical practitioner. To make an application under this provision you must demonstrate that effective preparation for the examination was not possible in the two weeks immediately before it.
Applications for special consideration must include supporting documentary evidence.
How to apply
To apply for special consideration you must consult either a registered medical or dental practitioner, midwife, registered psychologist or counsellor, depending on the circumstances, on the day of the examination or, if this is not possible, within 24 hours of the examination. The practitioner, psychologist or counsellor must complete the appropriate sections of the application form. The Assessment Office must receive this form within 72 hours of the examination affected.
Application forms are available from:
HAMILTON: The University's Student Health Service and Student Counselling Service or the Student Administration Counter in the Student Centre.
TAURANGA: Maharaia Building, Windermere Campus or The Information Centres at the Bongard Centre or Windermere Campus.
Alternatively print the form below. If you need help with completing the form or you need further information on special consideration, contact staff in the Assessment Office on +64 7 838 4466 extension 4941. Or call 0800 WAIKATO extn 4941.