Applying to Graduate

Apply to Graduate

PLEASE NOTE:  With the introduction of our new student management system you will now be invited to attend a graduation ceremony once the Assessment Office has received the completion from your faculty.

Watch this space for further information.

Assessment and Graduation Office
Student Services Division
University of Waikato
Private Bag 3105
Hamilton 3240, New Zealand
Phone: +64 7 838-4466 ext. 4941

If you wish to graduate in person at one of the ceremonies, you will also need to order your academic dress online at

Conferment of Several Qualifications

If you are receiving more than one qualification at a ceremony, both will be conferred and presented at the same time. Please ensure you indicate on your application form at which School/ceremony you wish to have your degree conferred.

Deferring Conferment of Qualification

If you are unable to attend your graduation ceremony it is possible to defer to the following ceremony being held by the University. You are still required to fill in your application form and return it to the Assessment and Graduation Office.

Graduating in Absentia

If you do not wish to attend a graduation ceremony you can have your degree conferred "In Absentia". If you choose to graduate "In Absentia" you are still required to fill in an Application to Graduate form. Your certificate will be sent you by mail at the conclusion of the graduation period to the address you have indicated on the form.

Change of Name or Address

If you have had a name change we will require certified copies of evidence of the name change, such as marriage certificate, deed poll, attached to your application to graduate form.

Graduation information is sent to you prior to your graduation ceremony. It is important, if you have a change of address, that you notify the Assessment and Graduation Office to ensure you receive your graduation information and tickets.