Hamilton: Student City
Hamilton's a great place to be a student. For a start, there are 40,000 other students to hang out with. Then there’s the adventure playground that is the Waikato: the cafés, shops, clubs, pubs and events, the easy transportation and the cheaper living. TripAdvisor also named Hamilton as one of the top 10 South Pacific destinations on the rise in 2014.
With a university, a polytechnic and a wānanga, Hamilton is student central:
- Great shopping at The Base, Westfield Chartwell and Centre Place
- Cafés, restaurants and bars
- International sporting venues
- Theatre groups, art galleries.
You name it, Hamilton's got it.
What to do in Hamilton
Adrenaline junkies, you’ve come to the right place. Waikato University is close to:
- Raglan and the world’s best left-hand surf break and beautiful Coromandel beaches
- Whakapapa's ski fields – Waikato is the closest university
- Awesome mountain-biking, rock climbing and motor sport in South Waikato
- Jet boating, quad biking and white water rafting
- Bungy jumping, skydiving and wakeboarding.
University clubs cater for all of these activities, making it easy to have a go at something new.
The Day Life
All the benefits of a big city without the hassles:
- Minimal traffic
- Five minutes drive from campus to the central city
- The facilities, shops and entertainment you expect and student discounts to match
- Heaps of cafés and restaurants - Thai, Mexican, Spanish, Japanese, Indian, Chinese and more
- Running and cycling tracks along the river and round the lake
- Great traditions such as The Gallagher Great Race and cowbells at Chiefs games.
The Night Life
Hamilton has the best student nightlife in the country:
- A local network of underground bands
- Sixty bars and cafés on one block alone
- Concerts that feature the latest up and coming talent in the New Zealand music industry.
Whether you're into hip hop, indie rock, house, punk, metal or Super 15 on the big screen, there's a place for you. The night bus runs till 3.30am and taxis are cheap because everything’s so close.
Every year, the Waikato Students' Union puts on a week-long celebration welcoming students, called Orientation or 'O' Week.
During the day, activities include:
- Live music
- Sports matches
- A clubs day and much, much more.
After sunset the nightlife takes off. Top national and local bands play in Hamilton and our many bars and cafés turn it on for the students. On the study side, there is Academic Orientation and all new students receive a Welcome Pack to get them off to a great start.
Waikato events you won't want to miss
- Waikato University Orientation Week
- Avantidrome Rev Cycle Festival
- Balloons Over Waikato
- Bridge-To-Bridge Water Ski Classic
- Hamilton Gardens Summer Festival
- Hamilton Fringe Festival
- HUFF: The Hamilton Underground Film Festival
- National Agricultural Fieldays
- Round The Bridges Race and Fun Run
- New Zealand Ethnic Soccer Festival
- Parachute Music Festival
- Rip Curl Raglan Pro Surfing
- The Fuel Festival of New Zealand Theatre
- The Gallagher Great Race
- The Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge
- Waikato Times Food and Wine Festival
Hamilton is a value-packed city for students, whether you're looking for really affordable options close to the University when you want to go flatting, looking for leisure activities or looking for discounts in town for the weekend. Hamilton provides an environment of affordability in comparison to many other large cities in New Zealand.
There's no worry either about peak-hour traffic. Welcome to peak-minute traffic, where zipping around town and back to the University can be done with time to spare.
For great value, Hamilton has it all.
|Rent||$90 – $110 a week for a flat near campus|
|Transport||$2.30 flat bus rate with a Busit card
$3.75 each between four in a cab to town
$0.00 walk or cycle (no hills!)
|Parking||FREE on campus|
|UniRec||$465 (or $8.95 per week) for a 12-month student membership. There are also 6- and 1-month student membership options available.|
|Studentcard||Want to pay less for things you already have to buy? Like free stuff too? What about front row tickets to the coolest gigs? Get the brand new StudentCard, combined with the W card. Get one online, or come see us at WSU in the SUB Building to get your very own.|
|Food||$4.90 6-inch sub from Subway on Victoria Street
$4.50 spud fries with aioli at Burgerfuel
$4.00 long black at Momento
|Beers||From $4.00(Bar 101)
From $5.00 (The Outback)
|Movies||$7 student movie ticket at EVENT Cinemas Chartwell on a Monday.
$10 movie tickets to any standard movie with a Student VIP Card at EVENT Cinema, Chartwell. Cards cost $15 and entitle you to one free movie on sign up! (Cards can be purchased in cinema or at the WSU).
|Cricket||$20 for Grass tickets
$25 for Stand tickets
|Rugby Super 15
||$15 for Green Zone tickets|
Note: These are all approximate prices for 2013.
Accommodation in Hamilton is really affordable, and there are many options to choose from.
- On-campus accommodation: All Waikato’s Halls of Residence are on campus, providing the ultimate student experience. Living in the halls is a great way to meet new people and immerse yourself in student life without the hassles of rosters and flat bills. See on-campus accommodation costs.
- Off-campus accommodation: Students studying at Waikato are very lucky that the University is surrounded by a large amount of inexpensive private student accommodation very close to the University campus. More than 90% of the student population lives off campus, and most live within a 15 minute walk of the campus.
- Homestay accommodation: Homestay is when a student lives with a New Zealand family in their home.
The Greater Waikato
The University of Waikato in Hamilton sits in the heart of New Zealand's North Island, only 90 minutes south of Auckland, New Zealand's largest city. The Waikato region is geographically and culturally diverse and offers a range of activities and attractions to enjoy which include the Hobbiton Movie Set and the world famous Waitomo Caves.
Find out more about what the region has to offer: