You will need to meet both academic and English Language entry requirements to study at the University of Waikato on a study abroad programme.
Academic entrance requirements
At the time of your enrolment at the University of Waikato, study abroad students must have:
- Completed at least two semesters of study and be currently enrolled at a recognised tertiary institution
- Achieved a minimum GPA of 2.5. Applicants from countries where it is not possible to calculate a grade point average must be of good academic standing.
English language requirements
The University of Waikato teaches in the medium of English. You are required to have competence in this language to be admitted to the University and be successful in your studies.
If your first language is not English, you are required to provide satisfactory evidence of English language proficiency, generally in the form of an IELTS or TOEFL. Scores can vary according to the qualification sought. In some cases the IELTS or TOEFL requirement may be waived.
|IELTS (Academic not General)||Some qualifications require an overall band 6.0 and a Writing band 6.0 and some require 6.0 overall with no less than 6.0 in each band (6.5 for Bachelor of Teaching with at least 6.0 in the writing band and 7.0 for Graduate Diploma in Teaching in each band). Refer to the English language requirements by qualification.|
|TOEFL (Internet based)||79 - 80 with a Writing score of 20 (22 in Writing for Bachelor of Teaching, Bachelor of Education and Graduate Diploma in Teaching)|
|TOEFL (paper-based)||550 overall including a TWE of 5.0 (600 for Bachelor of Teaching, Bachelor of Education and Graduate Diploma in Teaching)|
|TOEFL (computer-based)||213 including a TWE of 5.0 (4.5 in Essay Writing for Bachelor of Teaching, Bachelor of Education and Graduate Diploma in Teaching)|
|CAEL Level 7||Successful completion of Level 7 with a B grade average and no less than C in any section of the Certificate of Academic English Language (CAEL) programme. CAEL is offered at the University of Waikato (Waikato Pathways College).|
|Previous Study in English||If English was the language of instruction in the last two years of secondary / tertiary studies an English waiver can be considered. You need to provide evidence of this at the time of your application.|
- The English language requirements may be subject to change.
- Each Faculty reserves the right to request an IELTS or TOEFL score or equivalent.
- If you are applying for postgraduate study you will need to meet the postgraduate English language requirements.