Dr Carol Hamilton
Senior Lecturer, Human Development & Counselling
Qualifications: PhD (Massey), M.Ed.(Victoria), BA (Victoria), TTC.
Programme: Disability and Inclusion
Department: Human Development and Counselling
Research Interests and Expertise
I am a educationalist/sociologist with an interest in exploring the intersections between ability and disability. My doctoral thesis examined the key cultural influences that enabled and constrained direct support workers responses to instances of sexualised behaviour of the intellectually disabled people who live in Service Agency group homes. My current research interests are in the following areas: sexuality & disability, life-story work with older intellectually disabled people, sterilisation and young intellectually disabled people and beginning teachers’ attitudes and beliefs towards the theory and practice of inclusive education.
I have expertise in a variety of positivist and post-positive narrative and deconstructive methodologies and in qualitative survey design.
Michel Foucault, Fiona Kumari Campbell, Erica Burman, Kwame Anthony Appiah. Hannah Arendt
Hamilton, C. (2017). Exploring exclusion to create inclusion. In Orszagos Resztorativ Konferencia. Conference held at Gal Ferenc Foiskola, Szeged, Hungary.
Hamilton, C. (2017). Exploring the influence of institutionalisation on beginning teachers thoughts about inclusive practices. Journal of Social Inclusion, 8(1), 23-33.
Hamilton, C. (2016). Special education costs in New Zealand: What are direct family members paying?. set: Research Information for Teachers, (2), 20-27. doi:10.18296/set.0042
Hamilton, C. A., & Wilkinson, T. (2016). Parent perspectives of children with autism spectrum disorder transitioning from primary to secondary school in New Zealand. Waikato Journal of Education, 21(1), 121-132. doi:10.15663/wje.v21i1.196
Find more research publications by Carol Hamilton
Papers I Teach
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Hamilton, Dr Carol||8578||hamiltca||TT.5.06||Te Oranga Human Development and Movement|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5 or 9 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 8: dial +64 7 557 extension (TAURANGA exts only)
- Calling between campuses add 37 to the front of the extension
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Using the campus map to locate their room