CLNZ Copyright Survey 2014

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the purpose of this survey?

Under the terms of the University of Waikato licence with Copyright Licensing New Zealand (CLNZ), the University is legally obligated to provide information about the material that has been copied under this licence. Consequently, the University is required to conduct periodic reviews which document its use of copyright material in relation to the licence. CLNZ use the data we provide to distribute funds from licence fees to authors and rights holders for copying beyond what is allowed under the Copyright Act (1994)..

Why do I need to provide my personal details?

Your personal details are a requirement of the survey because they enable us confirm staff participation (a requirement under the University's licence with Copyright Licensing New Zealand, CLNZ). Each Head of School or Chair of Department will need to check that all staff contributing to a paper have completed the survey for that paper. Please note, however, that personal data collected will not be submitted to CLNZ. Only a summary of the bibliographic lists of items copied for each paper will be disclosed.

Do I have to complete the survey if I did not teach any papers in 2014?

If you did not teach any papers in 2014 you do not need to complete the survey.

Do I have to complete the survey if I did not provide my students with any readings?

The University of Waikato must report back against all papers taught in 2014 and for each, provide a list of material supplied or a statement that confirms that no copies were supplied under the CLNZ licence.

If you were teaching in 2014 you must complete the survey. However, if you did not provide your students with any material originating from hard-copy (printed) sources you will be able to indicate this in Question 9. Doing so will allow you to skip those sections which require you to provide reference details for hard-copy (printed) sources.

What if my original source was electronic?

The CLNZ licence only covers material provided from hard-copy (printed) originals.

Don't include information about the following types of material, as they are not covered by the licence for which we are gathering this information:

  • anything downloaded from the Internet
  • any e-book or e-journal
  • anything from a database
  • any work made available under an open licence (e.g. Creative Commons)
  • any work that is not under copyright (if in doubt it probably is)
  • any work you paid to use in a class (i.e. by an agreed fee with the rights holder)
  • unpublished religious orders of service
  • "in-house" journals (e.g. Community, Departmental Working Papers)
  • printed music (including the words)
  • loose maps and charts (i.e. not published as part of a book)
  • separate photographs and/or illustrations copied out of a book or journal
  • materials designed for delivery in an institution overseas
  • theses, dissertations and student papers

If the original source of your teaching material is electronic, regardless of the format in which you provided it to students, you do not need to provide details of it in this survey.


  • You copy a chapter out of a book in the library, scan it and upload it for your students to Moodle, MyWeb, EdLinked or other Learning Management system.
    • This should be included. The source is hard-copy, even though students get the copy through an electronic medium.
  • You download a PDF of a journal article from the library's e-journal database and include a copy for your students in printed course packs.
    • This should not be included. The source is electronic, even though you gave it to your class in hard-copy form.

What if I don't know whether the original source is in print or electronic format?

As a general rule, assume that the original is print if you cannot identify it's format. You can email ( or send a copy of the material to the Copyright Team, The Library, and they may be able to assist you with determining format origin.

What if I provided my students with electronic copies of the readings?

'Hard-copy' applies to the original printed source you copied from, rather than the means by which you provided the material to students. If you copied something from a hard-copy (printed) book, journal, newspaper/magazine etc., regardless of whether you distributed it to students in hard-copy (printed) or electronic form, you will need to provide the reference details for it in this survey.

What information do I need to complete the survey?

To complete the survey you will need to know enrollment numbers for each paper (including all occurrences) that you teach in 2014. You will also be asked to provide the following details for each hard-copy (printed) source you provide:

  • Type of source, i.e. book/journal/newspaper/map
  • Publication title
  • Author(s)
  • Publisher (not necessary for journal or newspaper articles)
  • Year of publication
  • ISBN/ISSN (where known)
  • Number of pages copied

For books you will also have to provide:

  • Chapter title (where applicable)
  • Total number of pages in book

For journal articles and newspapers you will also have to provide:

  • Volume or date details
  • Article title

Why do I have to fill out the survey separately for each paper?

The survey gathers specific reference details about the copyright material provided to students for each paper taught. As this material will be different for each paper it is necessary to complete the survey separately for each paper.

Can I save the survey and return at a later date to finish it?

Unfortunately no. Once you have the survey for one paper you cannot save, leave the survey, and return at a later date; therefore it is advisable that you have all the required information ready before you begin the survey.

If however, you are half-way through entering your data and for some reason you are prevented from completing the survey, your response will still be collected as incomplete, in which case you can return to the survey and complete questions 1-9 again then simply carry on entering the copyright data which you were unable to enter the first time, we will then collate the data from the responses.

Do I need to complete the survey for all papers that I teach, in a single session?

No. You do not have to complete the survey for all papers in a single session. You may, for example, wish to complete the survey in teaching period as you teach, in which case, you can return any number of times, until you have completed the survey for all papers by using the original link you were provided with (see top of page if you cannot find the original link).

What do I do if I realise I have made a mistake after I have submitted my response?

Contact the Copyright Team by emailing them at, or calling extn.4204. They will amend your response for you as requested.

I've moved on to the next section of the survey but want to go back to the previous section to edit one of my answers. Can I go back, and if so how?

You can navigate through the survey by using the Prev and Next buttons located at the bottom of each page. Do not use the browser back button.

What if I teach the same paper in multiple locations and/or teaching periods?

If you provided the same copyright material to all students across all occurrences you can indicate this in Question 6 of the survey and provide teaching period and location details in Question 7. Doing so means that you will only have to provide details for the sources supplied once.

If you provided different copyright material for any of the occurrences of a paper you will need to complete a separate survey for each unique set of copyright material.

I teach the same paper under two unique paper codes, e.g. PHIL217 and ENVP217. Do I need to complete the survey twice, once for each paper?

No, provided the same copyright material is used for both papers. Because the survey does not allow for multiple codes, only multiple locations and semesters, we ask that you complete the survey for one paper code then email the copyright team at, to request that the data be applied to the second code. You will need to be specific in you email about which code you have completed the survey for and which code you would like the data applied to.

If I teach the same paper in multiple locations and/or teaching periods with the same copyright material provided to all students is the number of students enrolled the total from all occurrences?

Yes i.e. if you teach a paper in A semester in both Hamilton and Tauranga, with 356 and 143 enrolments respectively, the number you enter in the survey will be the combined total of 499.

However, as in most cases you will be completing the survey for the first occurrence, you may not have an accurate total occurrence figure, in which case an approximation here will be sufficient. We will check the student numbers against those available through the Student Information System. The main thing is for us to know, is which Papers and occurrences to apply to a given list of copy citations.

What if I am not the only lecturer who is teaching in a particular paper?

As a general rule all teaching staff need to complete the survey with each staff member being responsible for recording the copyright material that supports what they teach, so if you are a co-teacher you are only responsible for the copyright material that pertains to the part of the paper you teach.

However, if you there is a consensus amongst all staff who teach a particular paper to designate one person (perhaps the coordinator) to complete the survey for all copyright material taught in a paper, it is sufficient for there to be only one response provided all copyright material supplied is identified.

Because we do not know who is teaching in each Paper, this decision will need to be made at the department level.

The survey allows me to record up to 30 pieces of copyright material, what if I have supplied more than this for my paper?

Contact the Copyright Team by emailing them at, or calling extn.4204. They will discuss options with you for collecting this data.

When providing the bibliographic details for a chapter with in an edited work with multiple authors, is it the author of the chapter or the editors of the publication that I enter in the author section?

Technically, you should have both, but in most cases we think the author/authors of the chapter will be sufficient as long as the other bibliographic information is correct.

Do I treat material from different editions of the same publication as unique publications?

Yes. You will need to provide the requisite details for all editions of a publication separately.

Where do I find the ISBN/ISSN?

Generally speaking, if you have the physical source in your hand, there are two places where the ISBN/ISSN can be located: For books the ISBN can be found on the back of the title page [imprint page], or alternatively on the back cover of the book. In preference, please use the 13 digit number where it is given. For journals the ISSN can be located with the subscriptions details inside journal either at the front or the back of the publication, or on either the front or back cover. Journals may also have an ISBN listed together with the ISSN but it is the ISSN that you need to provide.

If you do not have the physical source in hand or you cannot locate the ISBN/ISSN:

  • If you know the source is held by the library, you can use the University of Waikato Library Catalogue
Screenshot showing the ISBN in the Library Catalogue
  • If you are unsure whether the source is held by the library, or you know that it is not, use Library Search to find the ISBN/ISSN.
Screenshot showing the ISBN on a Library Search webpage.

If all attempts to find the ISBN/ISSN fail you can leave this line blank.

What if my source does not have an ISBN/ISSN?

Most items published after 1985 have an ISBN or ISSN. If you have followed the instructions for finding an ISBN/ISSN provide above and have not been able to find either you can leave this line blank.

Where do I find the publication details, including year of publication?

All publication details can generally be located on the reverse of the title page [imprint page]. As there is no universal format, you may need to search the page for the correct information. Use the copyright © date for year of publication. If you need help finding the publication details, please contact the Copyright Team at or call extn.4204.

Which date do I use for reprinted publications – the copyright date or the reprint date?

Always use the copyright date. You will find it on the reverse of the title page [imprint page], i.e. 'Copyright © 2010. If multiple dates are listed use the first (latest date). If you are really struggling to identify the correct date to use, please contact the Copyright Team at or call extn.4204.

What do I put in the total number of pages line if my publication has various page numbering sequences, i.e. xxvii, 667, g-12, R-100, NI-21, SI-31?

For the total number of pages in a book it is easiest to provide the page numbers in the same format as per the example above. Alternatively you can collate the numbering systems to provide a total number of pages, i.e. for the above example 847pgs

What do I do if I have no reference details and have no idea where the material was sourced from?

Please contact the Copyright Team at or call extn.4204 to get help with identifying the source of the material.

Where can I get help with identifying the reference details for my copyright material?

Please contact the Copyright Team at or call extn.4204 to request assistance.

Once I have completed the survey for one paper, how do I return to the beginning to fill in the details for additional papers I teach?

Clicking "Done" at the end of the survey will complete the survey for the current paper and return you to start where you can begin the survey for the next paper. Alternatively, you can use the original link you were provided with, or the one at the top of this page, to return to the survey at a later date if you do not which to complete the survey for multiple papers as this time.