Centre for Global Studies in Education
Te Pūtahi Mātauranga ki te Ao
Welcome to the Centre for Global Studies in Education (CGSE), the first Centre of its type in New Zealand, established in 2012. It has a broad mandate which covers research, scholarship, publications, conferences and seminars and supports postgraduate teaching in global studies.
CGSE is a multi-disciplinary Centre which provides national and international leadership in two different but interconnected areas:
- In Global Studies we link staff from three University of Waikato Faculties (Education, Law, Arts & Social Sciences) and from Te Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi.
- In Philosophy of Education we link with staff from the Faculties of Education, and Arts & Social Sciences and with the Philosophy of Education Society of Australasia (PESA) www.pesa.org.au.
Global Studies in Education (GSE) explores and researches the educational dimensions of global processes, interconnectivity, and intercultural education. It builds upon the traditions of comparative and international education programmes to explore:
- education policy and governance
- global citizenship and education
- global youth cultures and identities
- new media and popular cultures
- the politics of social identities
- gender, class and racial inequalities
- the political economy of knowledge production
- philosophy of Education
- sustainability and development
- the new global ecologies of learning
- open education
- the ‘glocal’ teacher
- children & poverty
- interculturalism & dialogue
CGSE staff have an impressive research and publications record. We have an international book series (Global Studies in Education, Peter Lang Publishers, New York) and are editors of a number of international journals.
CGSE’s experts are experienced and available to conduct national and international research, consultation and evaluation programs for public and private organisations, government departments, non-government organisations (NGOs) and multinational corporations. We are available to within New Zealand and internationally. Please email us with any queries: firstname.lastname@example.org