Chrome Remote Desktop
What is Chrome Remote Desktop?
Chrome Remote Desktop is an application developed by Google to work with their Chrome browser. Remote Desktop allows you to share or connect to a friend or family member's computer over the internet and ask to take control of their computer if you wish to assist them with something on the computer.
Chrome Remote Desktop is also one of the remote access tools that the University of Waikato Service Desk used to assist staff and students with personal devices they cannot connect to using normal methods.
To use Chrome Remote Desktop, you need to have the following:
- Chrome installed on your Mac or PC
- An Active internet connection
- A Google account (all staff and students are supplied with a Google Account when they start with the university. Personal Gmail accounts can also be used with this app).
Installing Chrome Remote Desktop
To install Chrome Remote Desktop, you will need to perform the following steps
- Go to the Chrome Extension Store
- Click Add to Chrome
- When Chrome asks to confirm the install, click Add App
- Chrome Remote Desktop has now been installed
Using Chrome Remote Desktop
To use Chrome Remote Desktop, you need to have a current Google account. All University of Waikato staff members are provided with an active Google Mail account while they are employed at the University. Students are given a student email account that remains active as long as they keep a current password.
- Go to the Apps tab in your Chrome Browser
- Select the Chrome Remote Desktop app to open.
- The app will now ask you to log in to your google account.
If this is a personal device and you have a personal Google account, you can log in with your own account. Otherwise, please login with your staff or student account. This must include the @waikato.ac.nz (staff) or @students.waikato.ac.nz (students).
- Click Allow to give Chrome Remote Desktop permissions to link to your account.
- Once logged in you will see the following screen. Click Get Started
- Click Share to set up your computer so you can share it with support teams.
You may be prompted at this point to download and install the Chrome Host Installed. Accept and Install this to your device.
- Once downloaded and installed you are set up and ready to go.
- Now, when clicking Share, Chrome Remote Desktop will provide a 10-digit code. This will be the code you supply to the support team when they wish to connect to your device.
- When finished, click Stop Sharing on your computer.
The University has provided a Self Service tool through which you can log your own support tickets (jobs). You can also search for a previously logged ticket to check it's status. For urgent jobs you can phone the ITS Service Desk: ext 4008 (838 4008) for support.