Self Service App on MacOS
The Self Service Application on Macs allows staff to manage software installation, updates and removal of unwanted applications themselves without the need for any ITS assistance.
The pool of available software in Self Service will continue to grow over time.
For PCs, Software Centre is available on all University of Waikato Windows 10 computers.
How to use the University of Waikato Self Service
Note: For staff working on a University desktop or laptop computer from off-campus - a VPN connection (Forticlient VPN) must be established before undertaking the following steps.
1. Opening Self Service
- Click on the Spotlight Search function
- Start typing ‘Self Service’
- Select Self Service from the best match search list
2. Finding software
- Look through the full list of available software using the right-hand side scroll bar
- Enter a keyword in the top-right search box
Note: Software availability may differ on a per-computer basis.
If you can't find the software you need in Software Centre, use the 'Request Software' link in the left-hand menu.
3. Installing Software
- Click on the software tile once
- Click on the 'Install' button
Note: if the installation fails a red 'Retry' button may appear and the 'status' will say 'failed'. If this occurs please contact the Service Desk via a Kuhukuhu request, or phone 07 838 4008 so that the problem can be investigated.
4. Software Reinstalls
- Install or Reinstall - installs a fixed version of the software that the University has made available.
- Install Latest or Reinstall Latest - installs the latest version of the software from the developer.
Te Kuhukuhu Rārangi - Log Your Own Request
"Kuhukuhu" is our IT Service Catalogue. You can search for and log your own service requests. You can also view the status of your current requests and see the estimated delivery time for them, provide further information by adding notes or attaching files, and view a full history of all previous requests.
For anything urgent you should phone the Service Desk: ext 4008 (838 4008) for assistance.