Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus
Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus is now FREE for all UoW staff and enrolled UoW students.
Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and more (see the table below) and it's FREE to download and available to all staff and students. You can choose which applications you want.
Here are a few things to help you along:
- You can download and install this software from home – using your home broadband.
- You can also download a copy of the installation files using your wireless Eduroam, UOW Student or UOW Halls account anywhere on campus. However it is a large file and can take up to 2 hours to download and install. This download has been 'white listed' so it won't use up any of your allocated student data.
- In the Student Centre there are five stations with a student accessible wired network connections on the end pod on the 3rd floor. These will be faster than the wireless option.
- You can install Office 365 ProPlus on up to five PC and Mac devices you own.
- You can download and use the software as long as you are a current staff member or a currently enrolled student and your paper will start within 40 days.
- For further queries, contact the ITS Service Desk on (07) 838 4008 or Ext 4008. Alternatively you can visit the Student Centre and ask for computer assistance.
- You will need at least 3 Gig of free space on the device you want to down load 365 to.
A step by step guide for Office 365 Installation for staff and students.
Note: Do not let laptops go into sleep mode or hibernate/shut as this corrupts the installation process. If this does happen, you will need to go into Control Panel and select the Office 365 Pro Plus and click Change then perform a repair using online services. This will take approximately half an hour to fix.
Let the installation run as per usual and log in with account when prompted to activate. If this throws an error, ignore and close the prompt. The installation completed and activates just fine.
Note: If the installer asks for your cellphone number, there are some issues with cellphone number formats. You can avoid this by downloading the OFfice 365 TRIAL version, then when you access Office 365 and enter your WAIKATO student email address, select the subscription option.
Q: How do I get the software?
A: Go to https://login.microsoftonline.com
Q: Can I install the software on more than one computer?
A: Yes. You can install on up to five devices concurrently.
Q: Is the software available for Mac?
A: Yes. The latest version for Mac is Office for Mac 2016 and will be available for download.
Q: How will I know if my computer is compatible?
A: System Requirements:
- Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. 32-bit Office can be installed on 32-bit or 64-bit operating systems and 64-bit Office can only be installed on 64-bit operating systems.
- 1 GHZ or faster x86 or 64-bit processor with SSE2 instruction set.
- 1 GB RAM (32-bit), 2 GB RAM (64-bit) recommended for graphics features, Outlook Instant Search, and certain advanced functionality.
- 3 GB of available hard disk space.
- 1024 x 768 or higher resolution monitor.
- A Mac computer with an Intel processor.
- Mac OS X version 10.5.8 or later.
- 1 GB of RAM recommended.
- 2.5 GB of available hard disk space.
- HFS+ hard disk format (also known as Mac OS Extended or HFS Plus).
- DVD drive or connection to a local area network (if installing over a network).
- 1280 x 768 or higher resolution monitor.
Q: What if I already purchased Microsoft Office?
A: You are still eligible for the offer. Any software you purchased previously is subject to the user agreement for that license.
Please be aware that if you already have a version of Microsoft Office on your device be sure you have the registration key, because to install Office 365 you will need to uninstall your current version and when you finish your study you will need your key to re-install your own version of Office.
Q: Can I use Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus on my mobile devices?
Q: Can I keep the software after I leave UoW?
A: Your subscription ends when you leave UoW. You can then purchase the software directly from Microsoft.
Q: I have an older version of Microsoft Office. Can I use this version?
A: For best results, it is recommended that you uninstall previous versions of Office products before installing this version. In certain circumstances, this version will install alongside other versions of the software. See the Microsoft website for more details.
Where can I get training on Office 365 ProPlus?
Learn how to add your email account to your mobile device, and how to install and set up Office applications like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote on your tablet or smartphone. Office 365 Mobile Setup - Help
Some end user help guides on Office Mobile for iPhone here .
Some end user help guides on Office Mobile for Android here .
Log Your Own Ticket
The University has provided a Self Service tool through which you can log your own tickets (jobs). You can also search for a previously logged ticket to check its status. For urgent jobs you can phone the ITS Service Desk: ext 4008 (838 4008) for support.