The University of Waikato - Te Whare Wānanga o Waikato
ICT Self Help
Home Waikato Home  >  ICT Self Help  >  How To Guides  >  How do I cancel / close a Purchase Order? Staff + Students Login |  - Logout

UniMarket - Cancel / Close a Purchase Order

The University's purchasing process would not normally include closing or cancelling purchase orders, but it may be necessary in exceptional circumstances. Staff should ensure purchase orders are correct in the first instance, to lessen the likelihood of a cancellation.

If a purchase order needs to be closed:

  1. Contact the supplier to confirm the goods have not been shipped to the University
  2. Communicate with the supplier that the goods are no longer required
  3. Confirm that the goods haven't been received by the University, and have not yet been receipted in Unimarket

Un-receipted Purchase Orders

If the goods have not been received, the purchase order should be closed in UniMarket. To check if the purchase order has been receipted or not, go to Orders > View Orders. For further instructions click the person icon and go to Community Help > Purchasing > Closing & Reopening Orders. Procurement does not close un-receipted purchase orders, except when a buyer no longer works at the University.

Receipted Purchase Orders

A receipt indicates we have received the goods, creating a commitment to pay. Therefore, cancelling a receipted purchase order should not normally occur. A thorough explanation is needed to ensure cancelling is the correct course of action. Email your cancellation request with an explanation to Agreed requests will be processed in the last week of each month.

Incorrect Details

If a requisition has been approved but has incorrect details the purchase order needs to be receipted and then a new one created. Inform the vendor that it has been cancelled and a new request is being created. The reason it is receipted is so Finance don't pay it.

If you have questions regarding a specific purchase order, first contact your Faculty/Divisional Accountant or Faculty Manager. They may then in turn contact the appropriate FSD Management Accountant.

LD Self ServiceLog Your Own Ticket

The University has provided a Self Service tool through which you can log your own tickets (jobs). You can also search for a previously logged ticket to check it's status. For urgent jobs you can phone the ITS Service Desk: ext 4008 (838 4008) for support.


How To Guides

Your step by step guide to various ICT services.

Help & FAQ's

View FAQs on our available topics.

Policy & Standards

View documented policies & procedures.

ICT Glossary

Site Map