How to Find the MAC Address of Your Device
A MAC (Media Access Control) address is a number that identifies the network adapter(s) installed on your tablet or phone. The address is composed of up to 6 pairs of characters, separated by colons. To find your MAC address for your device on the campus network use one of the following methods.
For instructions on finding the MAC address of your computer, please see the instructions here.
- On your Home screen press the Menu button and Settings
- Scroll down to About Device and press Status
- Scroll down till you find the Wi-Fi MAC address entry
- This is you devices MAC address
- Directly below that is your Bluetooth MAC address. Bluetooth must be turned on in order to see it.
- On your Home screen press Settings
- Scroll down and press General then press About
- Scroll down till you see Wi-Fi Address
- This is the MAC address for your iDevice. This is the same for all iOS devices: iPhone, iPod and iPad
- If you need the Bluetooth MAC address it is located directly below the Wi-Fi address
Windows Phone 7 (or newer)
- On your Home screen swipe left
- Scroll down and press Settings
- Scroll down and press About
- On the About screen press More Info
- Your MAC address will be displayed at the bottom of the screen
Video Games Console
For the purpose of connecting a video game console to the University of Waikato Free Student Wireless connections, consoles are not compatible with the University of Waikato Authentication methods and must be manually added as an exception.
For the purpose of allowing a console access to the system, students will need to Log a Ticket to request access to the University Network. Included in the ticket logged must be the Console Type and version (i.e. Playstation 3 or Playstation 4) and the Console's MAC address.
You can find the MAC address of your console as per one of the instructions below.
- On the Main Screen after logging in to your console, go up to the system menu and scroll right to Settings
- Scroll down to Network
- Scroll down to View Connection Status
- The MAC address will be listed here. One for wireless and one for cabled ethernet connections.
- On the Main Menu System scroll left to Settings Menu
- Scroll down to System Settings
- Scroll down and select System Information
- The MAC address will be listed under the IP address.
- Navigate to the left or press the Xbox Guide button on your controller rapidly, twice
- Scroll down to Settings
- Scroll down to Network
- Select Advanced Settings
- The MAC address will be listed on this page. There will be one for wireless connections and one for ethernet cabled connections.
- Open the System Settings from the Dashboard
- Open Network Settings and select Configure Network
- Select the Additional Settings tab and select Advanced Settings
- Choose the Alternate MAC address option
- The MAC address will be listed in this screen (Note: it may not be separated by colons).
Te Kuhukuhu Rārangi - Log Your Own Request
"Kuhukuhu" is our IT Service Catalogue. You can search for and log your own service requests. You can also view the status of your current requests and see the estimated delivery time for them, provide further information by adding notes or attaching files, and view a full history of all previous requests.
For anything urgent you should phone the Service Desk: ext 4008 (838 4008) for assistance.