There are a few ways that you can enter Māori Macrons into your Word document - Ā ā Ē ē Ī ī Ō ō Ū ū
- Māori Keyboard and language for Windows
- Māori Keyboard and Language for Mac
- Insert Symbol Command
- Short Cut Key Function
Māori Keyboard and Language for Windows
In Windows 7, 8 and 10, most university computers should now include the Māori language update. In order to use Māori Macrons in windows you can do the following:
- Click the Language Bar in the bottom right of the screen near the clock:
- Select English (New Zealand) - Māori keyboard
- The language for your keyboard will now be set to the New Zealand English and Māori dictionary.
When placing macron's in the system you can use the ` followed by a letter to place the macron ā
(i.e `a will give you ā )
As an additional option available to staff, we have a separate installer for the Māori Keyboard if the language option on the computer either has a problem or the Māori language isn't installed for some reason.
- Install the exe file found at \\filer-usg.its.waikato.ac.nz\usg-share\program\māorikeyboard. Read the "readme.txt" first.
Māori Language and Keyboard for Mac
To set up your Mac so that you can type macrons:
- Click on the Apple logo in the top left and choose System Preferences
- Click Language & Region
- Click Keyboard Preferences
- Click the + icon and find Māori in the list.
- Click Add
- Optionally, tick Show input menu in menu bar
To type a macronised vowel on a Mac, you simply hold down Alt / Option and then the vowel. You can also do this in conjunction with the Shift key to type an uppercase vowel.
Recommended keys (quick tips)
Alt+Shift+a Already mapped to "ShowAllHeadings"
Alt+Shift+o Already mapped to "MarkTableOfContentsEntry"
Alt+Shift+u Already mapped to "UpdateFeilds"
Enter the code then press Alt+X
Te Kuhukuhu Rārangi - Log Your Own Request
"Kuhukuhu" is our IT Service Catalogue. You can search for and log your own service requests. You can also view the status of your current requests and see the estimated delivery time for them, provide further information by adding notes or attaching files, and view a full history of all previous requests.
For anything urgent you should phone the Service Desk: ext 4008 (838 4008) for assistance.