Moodle Access for Guest Lecturers
All staff and students must have a waikato staff or student username in order to access Moodle. The Waikato Centre for eLearning (WCEL) used to create a special username (ext-username) that allowed access to Moodle only but this no longer applies.
If you have a visitor / guest (with no HR contract) that needs access to your Moodle paper you will need to do the following:
- Create an account in UniAccess
- Once they have a username you will need to Request a Resource by going back into UniAccess, search for the user and click Request Access. Search for and add Moodle. The request will go to CeTTL for them to give the required access.
- After you have been advised that this access has been granted you will need to assign that user a role (see below) in your paper. This needs to be done in Moodle (NOT in the Staff Role/Paper Associations tool).
To Create an Account in UniAccess:
- Go to iWaikato > Common Tasks > Make a Request
- Click on ICT / User Access Tab (in the box that says Make a Request)
To Request a Resource:
- In UniAccess search for the users name then select it
- Click Request Access
- In Search for Resource type in Moodle
- Click on the Moodle entry that comes up
- Click Save at the bottom of the page (if you don't see the Resource it will mean they already have access they now just need to be assigned a role)
Info on UniAccess (including videos) can be found here.
if the person has had a username previously search for the user in UniAccess and change the end date and update relevant details.
To Manually Enrol a User:
To manually enrol a user in moodle, you must have the non-teaching or teaching convenor roles. No other roles have the access to manually enroll users in a paper.
- Go to the relevant paper
- In the Administration Block click on Users > Enrolled Users
- Click the Enrol users button
- In the Assign roles drop-down (at the top of the popup screen) choose the appropriate role
- Search for the user using the text box (at the bottom of the popup screen - press Enter on your keyboard to execute the search)
- Once the user's name appears in the search results click the Enrol button.
- Click the Finish enrolling users button to return to the Enrolled Users screen
See roles / level of access that you can choose in Moodle here
Log Your Own Ticket
The University has provided a Self Service tool through which you can log your own tickets (jobs). You can also search for a previously logged ticket to check it's status. For urgent jobs you can phone the ITS Service Desk: ext 4008 (838 4008) for support.