Outlook - Unable to Send / Receive Email
After a network outage or some other unknown network interruption, your Outlook client may stop working correctly. It may be Working Offline or simply not sending or receiving mail.
The 2 most common fixes in cases such as these you can fix yourself by following the steps below.
- Open outlook
- Click the "Send / Receive" tab
- If "Work Offline" is highlighted in orange (as in the above screenshot) click it once.
- The "Work Offline" button should now not be highlighted in orange (as in the below screenshot)
Note: the white/red "x" will always show whether or not Outlook is online/offline
You should now be receiving/sending email again. (wait 30sec – 1min) If you are still unable to send/receive any email follow the below steps
- Make sure Outlook is closed
- Right-click the taskbar (Or press Ctrl + Alt + Del on your keyboard)
- Select Start Task Manager
- Select the Processes Tab
- Locate & click/select the OUTLOOK.EXE process
- Click End Process\Task then again in the pop-up window
Restart Outlook and your mail should start coming through again.
If this doesn't fix your issue you will need to call the Service Desk (838 4008).
Due to a recent change in Google Authentication, whenever you change your password, Google required re-authentication for access to sync emails to Outlook. If the above Offline Mode settings are not causing the issue, then you will need to do the following steps:
- Restart Outlook
- After outlook starts, wait a few seconds and a window prompt from Google will appear. Click Continue
- A new web browser window will open and Google will ask for you to accept permissions. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Accept.
- Google will then show the Permissions accepted page. Once this is displayed. Close the window and switch back to Outlook.
- Wait 30 seconds and the emails will begin to sync through to outlook again.
Log Your Own Ticket
The University has provided a Self Service tool through which you can log your own tickets (jobs). You can also search for a previously logged ticket to check it's status. For urgent jobs you can phone the ITS Service Desk: ext 4008 (838 4008) for support.