Outlook - Unable to Send / Receive Email
After a network outage or some other unknown network interruption, your Outlook client may stop working correctly. It may be Working Offline or simply not sending or receiving mail.
The 2 most common fixes in cases such as these you can fix yourself by following the steps below.
- Open outlook
- Click the 'Send / Receive' tab
- If 'Work Offline's highlighted in orange (as in the above screenshot) click it once.
- The 'Work Offline' button should now not be highlighted in orange (as in the below screenshot)
Note: the white/red 'x' will always show whether or not Outlook is online/offline
You should now be receiving/sending email again. (wait 30sec – 1min) If you are still unable to send/receive any email follow the below steps
- Make sure Outlook is closed
- Right-click the taskbar (Or press Ctrl + Alt + Del on your keyboard)
- Select Start Task Manager
- Select the Processes Tab
- Locate & click/select the OUTLOOK.EXE process
- Click End Process\Task then again in the pop-up window
Restart Outlook and your mail should start coming through again.
If this doesn't fix your issue you will need to call the Service Desk (838 4008).
Due to a recent change in Google Authentication, whenever you change your password, Google required re-authentication for access to sync emails to Outlook. If the above Offline Mode settings are not causing the issue, then you will need to do the following steps:
- Restart Outlook
- After outlook starts, wait a few seconds and a window prompt from Google will appear. Click Continue
- A new web browser window will open and Google will ask for you to accept permissions. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Accept.
- Google will then show the Permissions accepted page. Once this is displayed. Close the window and switch back to Outlook.
- Wait 30 seconds and the emails will begin to sync through to outlook again.
Te Kuhukuhu Rārangi - Log Your Own Request
"Kuhukuhu" is our IT Service Catalogue. You can search for and log your own service requests. You can also view the status of your current requests and see the estimated delivery time for them, provide further information by adding notes or attaching files, and view a full history of all previous requests.
For anything urgent you should phone the Service Desk: ext 4008 (838 4008) for assistance.