Setting Default Applications for your device
Windows and Mac computers are set to recognise certain file types and associate them with a particular programs (i.e. docx files are recognised as Microsoft Word document files).
However every now and again the computer may forget which programmes it needs to be associated with, or it has associated the wrong file with an incorrect application, such as opening a PDF file in Internet Explorer rather than Adobe Reader.
To manually change the file associations you can use the below instructions as per the device you are using:
To change the file association in windows you will need to do the following:
- Find the file that is having trouble opening or is opening in the wrong application
- Right-click the file and select Open With
- A list of Recommended Apps will be displayed. Select the application you would like to use when opening the files.(i.e Microsoft Word for a .docx file).
- Tick Always use this app to open... and click OK
- The icon on the document will change to reflect the default application and Windows will then open the file in the chosen application.
To change the default application for files on an Apple Mac, you will need to do the following:
- Right-click on a file that uses the file type you'd like to change the default for...
- Select Get Info from the popup
- Select Open With, if the section isn't already expanded
- Click the drop-down and choose an App
- Click Change All...
Te Kuhukuhu Rārangi - Log Your Own Request
"Kuhukuhu" is our IT Service Catalogue. You can search for and log your own service requests. You can also view the status of your current requests and see the estimated delivery time for them, provide further information by adding notes or attaching files, and view a full history of all previous requests.
For anything urgent you should phone the Service Desk: ext 4008 (838 4008) for assistance.