Remote ITS Support
If you are instead receiving remote support from an ITS consultant click here.
Horizon Remote Labs
If you are trying to accessing lab computers remotely click here.
Remote Desktop Connection
Staff and some PhD/Masters Students can be granted remote access to a computer on campus from either another location on campus, or from home. To be able to connect remotely, you will need to contact the Service Desk on ext 4008 (07 838 4008) to enable the permissions. Masters/PhD Students will need authorisation from a Faculty Dean or Head of Department before contacting the Service Desk.
This needs to be configured and set up prior to use, if you need access to the network immediately, you may need to access the Staff Terminal Server instead of a remote desktop connection to your computer.
To setup a remote desktop connection to the Staff Terminal Server
When connecting to your University remote connection from home, you will need to establish a VPN connection first.
For Windows 10, click the Search (magnifying glass icon) beside the Start button (the bottom left corner of the screen, and type 'Remote Desktop Connection' into the search box.
- Click Remote Desktop Connection to start the application.
- Click Show Options and enter "ts-staff.its.waikato.ac.nz" in the computer field. Then enter your University username (not your firstname.lastname email alias) into the User name field using the format WAIKATO\username as shown below.
- (Optional) Tick Allow me to save credentials
- (Optional) Click Save As…to save this link to your computer e.g. on the Desktop, as a shortcut for next time (this will be saved as a .rdp file that you can double click to reconnect)
- Click Connect.
- You will be prompted to approve a Duo request. Check your mobile device or for the push notification, or if you have one, use a passcode from your Yubikey.
- You should now be connected to the staff desktop environment. If you are unable to connect, please double check that you are connected to the University network via the Forticlient VPN.
Te Kuhukuhu Rārangi - Log Your Own Request
"Kuhukuhu" is our IT Service Catalogue. You can search for and log your own service requests. You can also view the status of your current requests and see the estimated delivery time for them, provide further information by adding notes or attaching files, and view a full history of all previous requests.
For anything urgent you should phone the Service Desk: ext 4008 (838 4008) for assistance.