Desk Phone Services

Call forwarding from extn to University mobile

Staff can now forward calls made to their University phone extensions to a University-owned mobile free of charge.
NOTE: While call-forwarding to a University-owned mobile number is free, call-forwarding to a non-University-owned mobile will be billed to the department for all forwarded calls at normal landline-to-mobile rates.

Cisco phone

To do this on a Cisco phone, press 'Fwd All' (option displayed on screen), enter 1 followed by your mobile number (eg, 10275553322). The screen will then show 'Call Forwarded to 10275553322'. To stop call forwarding press 'Fwd OFF'.

Analogue phone

On a non-Cisco phone, pick up the handset and press **1, wait for dial tone, enter 1 plus your mobile number (eg, 10275553322). Once activated, users will hear a stuttering dial tone when they pick up the phone's handset, which indicates calls are being forwarded. To stop call forwarding pick up the handset and press **2.

If an extension is toll-barred (ie, internal and local calls only) then call forwarding won't work.


All University phone extensions can have voicemail enabled so if yours isn't and you would like voicemail please log a service request to get one set up.

Initially you will need to set up your mailbox with a new PIN and a message. The initial Default PIN is 956800 which you will be prompted to change as soon as you log in. If you forget your PIN or your voicemail locks then you will need to call the Service Desk (4008) for assistance.

More info on Voicemail


If your phone is not working properly we need you to identify whether it is the phone or the port that is the problem. So before you log a job to the Service Desk please plug a phone that you know is working into the port of the faulty phone. If it works fine you will know that it is the phone that is faulty and you will need to purchase a new one through Campus Computers. If the working phone experiences the same problem as the faulty one it will be the port at fault.

If the port is faulty you need to log a request with the Service Desk and include the following information:

  • Extension Number
  • Room Number
  • Face-plate Number
  • Port Number

Requests for moves, additions or changes

Requests for moving a phone, setting up a new extension or changing details (e.g. display name, account code for charging) should be logged as a request to the Service Desk. Most requests can be completed within 5 working days of receiving all of the information required.

The following information is required for a job to be processed:

  • Extension Number
  • Room Number
  • Face-plate Number
  • Port Number
  • Account Code for Charging
  • Is Voicemail required
  • Standard (STD) or Direct Dial Phone (DDI)
  • Toll or Toll Bar
  • Display name for the phone

If it is for a phone move we also need the following information for the room that the phone is moving from:

  • Room Number
  • Face-plate Number
  • Port Number

What are face-plate and port numbers?

This is where your phone and computer are plugged into the wall.

Face-plate number                Port number


Please also supply any room access information, the date the installation is required by and contact details for additional information should this be needed.

Telephone Conference

Attend a conference with your colleagues without physically being in the same room by conducting a telephone conference.

Kuhukuhu Self Service Portal Te Kuhukuhu Rārangi - Log Your Own Request

"Kuhukuhu" is our IT Service Catalogue. You can search for and log your own service requests. You can also view the status of your current requests and see the estimated delivery time for them, provide further information by adding notes or attaching files, and view a full history of all previous requests.
For anything urgent you should phone the Service Desk: ext 4008 (838 4008) for assistance.