Support for overseas students
All enrolled University of Waikato students based overseas can access services and a variety of resources from our Library. This page outlines the support and services on offer.
On this page:
Access to Resources
We are unable to post books to overseas students, but we can scan chapters and articles and email them to students, subject to copyright requirements. Where possible, the Library ensures that electronic books are available to students, and students will also be able to access journals via Library Search.
If you are unable to access an article or a book, it might be possible to source this from another Library via our Interlibrary Loan service. Overseas students can request copies of articles and chapters via this service, but cannot request books.
There is also an abundance of resources available via the Library website, including material digitised by the Library.
What can we do for you?
Library staff are here to help you.
- The Information Services Team provides reference and information services, and produces instructional guides and resources to assist students to find and effectively use information.
- The Academic Liaison Librarians Team provides specialised research and information advice to staff and postgraduate Library users.
- The Law Library Team provides assistance to all law students.
You can book a consultation with a skilled, knowledgeable Librarian during business hours (NZ time) or get support for finding and referencing information via Library chat or by emailing [email protected]
The Library has a range of guides available to help you learn how to locate and use resources.
Waikato Reading Lists
Each paper has a list of required and recommended readings. Your most essential readings are available at Waikato Reading Lists. Make sure you log in to the Reading List website to read online articles with your University of Waikato username and password. Forgotten your username or password?
- How to use Waikato Reading Lists [video guide 9.5 MB]
To find resources beyond the reading lists (see above), go to Library Search on the Library homepage to search through our online resources.
Each video guide below has English subtitles.
- How to use Library Search [video guide 5.2 MB]
- Search by keyword [video guide 4.5 MB]
- Using Library Search Filters [video guide 7.0 MB]
- Search by title - journal articles [video guide 8.8 MB]
- Search by title - journals [video guide 6.5 MB]
- Find Ebooks [video guide 4.1 MB]
Also check out the full Library Search Guide.
Searching and Evaluating
- About Referencing
- How to Avoid Plagiarism
APA Referencing Style Guide
- APA Referencing Style: Common Examples
- APA Referencing Style: Quick Guide
- Introduction to APA [video guide 9.1 MB]
- In-text Citations with APA [video guide 7.8 MB]
- Referencing List with APA [video guide 10.8 MB]
- Referencing Journals with APA [video guide 11.3 MB]
- Referencing Books with APA [video guide 14.4 MB]
- Referencing Websites with APA [video guide 10.7 MB]
Check the Subject Portals for your subject to find more resources.
Forgotten username or password
If you have forgotten your username or password, follow these steps:
- Go to https://my.waikato.ac.nz and click 'Forgotten your username or password?'
- Select 'Current student'
- Insert your username and click 'Next'
- You should now see your name - insert your email address in the text box and click 'Next'
- Stay on this page but check your email for the code sent to you then insert the code in the 'Code' text box then click 'Next'
- Then reset your password, please take note of the password criteria
If you have problems then please email [email protected] and explain that you are a Waikato student based overseas who needs to reset your password. Give your name and username or Student ID number. Our IT staff will help you through the process.