While we try to make our collections as accessible as possible, the Library is a complex organisation. Learning how to find, use and manage information is an important part of University study. The following lists some of the ways you can get help from Library staff.
Help! Online or In Person
Ways to contact our expert librarians in an online and "real life" environment:
- Visit one of the Library Service Points
- Book a Consultation with a Librarian
- Chat with a librarian during business hours
- Check out the resources, guides and FAQs in the Virtual Reference Desk
- Email the Library on [email protected]
- For postgraduate help or research consultations contact your Academic Liaison Librarian.
- Send a query through Suggestions and Questions
- Visit our Library Facebook page
- Service Request Forms
Frequently Asked Questions
A list of common queries about the Library borrowing services.
- What can I borrow from the Library?
- How long can I borrow an item for?
- Can postgraduates and staff borrow items for longer?
- How many items can I borrow?
- How do I borrow from the Library?
- Can I still borrow items without my ID Card?
- Where can I return items after hours?
- Where are the new books and journals?
- Where are the self-issue machines?
- Can I use the Library on Waikato and Tauranga campus?
Fines, Fees and Payments
The basic "when, where and why" of Library fines, fees and payments.
Requests, Renewals and Recalls
What do these terms means and you can make the most of these services.
- What does it mean when the item I have borrowed is "recalled"?
- I still need the item that has been "recalled", why should I return it?
- How do I request an item?
- How do I collect/receive my requested items?
- Why is the item only issued for 7 days?
- How do I renew an item?
- I should be able to renew my item online, but I can't. Why?
High Demand Collection
Frequently asked questions about accessing this special collection
- What is the High Demand Collection?
- How do I access the High Demand Collection?
- How do I issue an item from the high demand collection?
- How do I find out what's in the High Demand Collection for my paper?
- How do I borrow from the High Demand Collection?
- How long can I borrow High Demand Collection items for?
- How many High Demand Collection items can I borrow at a time?
- Can I book a High Demand Collection item in advance?
- How much can I photocopy from a book in the High Demand Collection?
- How do I add an item to the High Demand Collection for my class to access? (staff only)
Urgent requests, notifications, placing and tracking interlibrary loan requests, etc.
- How do I request an Interlibrary Loan?
- What items can I request?
- Where can I view my Interlibrary Loan requests?
- Who can use Interlibrary Loan services?
- How do I place an urgent Interlibrary Loan request?
- How long will it take?
- Where do my notifications go?
- Are there any copyright restrictions on items?
- Where can I pick up my Interlibrary Loan?
- Can I renew my Interlibrary Loan?
- I have a query about my interlibrary loan, who do I contact?
A very generalised list of common referencing queries
- What is referencing?
- What is the purpose of referencing?
- Which sources do I need to provide references for?
- Which referencing style should I use?
- Do I need to use the same style throughout?
- How do I use my preferred referencing style?
- Are there example sheets for the referencing styles?
- I'm having trouble with APA Referencing, can I get further help?
- What is referencing management software, and how do I use it?
- Are there websites that can help format my references?
- Can I get further help with referencing my assignment?
Using Research Commons–for staff and students.
- How do I deposit my University of Waikato Thesis to Research Commons?
- Where can I find University of Waikato Theses?
- How do I find material on Research Commons?
- Who can use Research Commons?
- How do I deposit my material to Research Commons (Staff)?
- Which version of my work should I deposit to Research Commons (Staff)?
- What material can be included in Research Commons (Staff)?