Nominations for awards are normally called on the first Friday in September and the submission deadline is usually the last Friday in October each year (please refer to the dates for this year further down the page). The committee meets to select recipients in early to mid November. Nominations may be initiated by individual staff and should be supported by the nominee's manager.
It is generally not expected that staff will nominate themselves and nominations are usually made without reference to the individual or team concerned (unless an evidence portfolio is required).
Note that staff may download and prepare a nomination at any time during the year in anticipation of the September call for nominations.
Further information about staff awards along with the nomination form follows. If you have any queries or require assistance with a Staff Award nomination please contact Mike Bell, Professional & Organisational Development Manager, Secretary to Staff Awards Committee.
There are three overarching staff excellence award categories as listed below, with subcategories for recognising excellence in particular activities.
Nominations for these awards are made through the Divisional Teaching Excellence Award process and there is no nomination form at the University level, but please complete this cover page and indicate which subcategory the nomination is for.
- Teaching Excellence
- Early Career Teaching Excellence
- eLearning Excellence (Nola Campbell Memorial)
- Teaching in a Kaupapa Māori Context
- Research Excellence
- Early Career Research Excellence
- Mātauranga Māori Research Excellence
- Postgraduate Research Supervision Excellence
- Work-Integrated Learning Excellence
- Staff Excellence
- Student Experience Excellence
- Safety and Wellbeing Excellence
- Mātauranga Māori Excellence
Committee Administration and Staff Award Guidelines
Directory of Committees (see link to Committee Directory and look for Staff Awards Committee)
Purposes and process for University of Waikato Staff Awards
- Division Teaching Excellence award nomination deadline - 27 August
- University award nominations open - 3 September
- Nomination deadline - 29 October
- Committee/selection panel meets - 19 November
- Award recipients and unsuccessful nominees will be advised as soon as possible following the selection meeting and approval by the Vice-Chancellor
- 2021 Awards presentation ceremony - 13 December (4.30pm)
Staff Merit Award Recipient List 1989 to 2005
Teaching Excellence Award Recipient List 1998 to 2005
Health and Safety Awards from 2002 to 2009
Staff Awards from 2006
List of Faculty Teaching Excellence Award Recipients since 2009