English Language Programmes
The Waikato Pathways College English Language programmes, which are designed for international students, offer levels from Beginner to Advanced. These will improve your language skills to prepare you for university study.
Academic English programme
Upon completion, the Academic English programme provides entry to degree-level study without further IELTS testing. The academic English programme is split into two qualifications:
- Certificate of Attainment in English Language (Levels 1-3)
- Certificate of Attainment in Academic English (Levels 4-8)
These are full-time courses and run for 10 weeks. There are a number of intakes each year in February, May, August, and October.
Students who want to progress to a Foundation Studies programme at the Waikato Pathways College or a degree at the University of Waikato, can study the Academic English programme in one of the following levels:
- Academic English programme (Level 6): provides progression to the Foundation Studies programme
- Academic English programme (Level 7): provides progression to most undergraduate degrees
- Academic English programme (Level 8): provides progression to most postgraduate degrees and some
undergraduate degrees (such as Law and Social Work).
The General English programme offered at the Waikato Pathways College, is for students who want to improve their everyday English skills. You can study General English for a minimum of three weeks and for as long as up to six months.
Upon successful completion, you can progress to the Academic English programme at the Waikato Pathways College.
With over 25 years experience, the University of Waikato is a leader in the field of providing unique and specialist programmes for international groups. A dedicated team will provide a tailor-made learning experience based on your specific requirements.
- Guest speakers from within the university and from the local business community enhance programmes; as well as field trips, lecture and seminar series
- Flexible scheduling to suit teaching/business commitments
- Dedicated bilingual student advisors to provide group students with comprehensive orientation, student support and pastoral care
- Opportunities to engage with peers at the University of Waikato – New Zealanders and fellow international students, this includes English Club and Sports Club
- Grade reports available on request
- Kiwiana holiday (Maori culture and the kiwi lifestyle)
- Teacher Training (Professional development / upskill of current ESOL Teachers)
- Agribusiness (Sheep and cattle farmingt, dairy industry, wine tasting etc)
- Sports (Waikato Rugby, training, nutrition)
You can also include the following activities in your programme or contact us directly if it is not listed below;
Hamilton Tour/Orientation; Waitomo Caves; Horse Riding; Hobbiton Movie Set; Raglan; Blueberry Farm; Auckland, Rotorua, Coromandal Day/Overnight Tours