Associate Professor Samuel G Charlton
Chair of Psychology
Qualifications: BA San Jose MA, PhD New Mexico
Dr Charlton received his PhD in Experimental Psychology from the University of New Mexico. Since then, he has held positions at the University of Albuquerque, the Veterans Administration Medical Center in New Mexico, the BDM Corporation, and the US Air Force Operational Test & Evaluation Center.
Dr Charlton's research interests include applied cognitive psychology and human factors. Current projects are in the area of driver behaviour including driver attention, perception, & performance.
Dr Charlton is available to supervise students in a range of topics related to applied cognitive psychology including everyday memory, information representation, and skilled performance in domains such as transportation and design.
Malhotra, N., Starkey, N. J., & Charlton, S. G. (2017). Driving under the influence of drugs: Perceptions and attitudes of New Zealand drivers. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 106, 44-52. doi:10.1016/j.aap.2017.05.011
Charlton, S. G., & Starkey, N. J. (2017). Memory for everyday driving. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, -online. doi:10.1016/j.trf.2017.06.007
Charlton, S. G., & Starkey, N. J. (2017). Drivers' mental representations of familiar rural roads. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 50, 1-8. doi:10.1016/j.jenvp.2017.01.003
Malhotra, N., Charlton, S. G., Starkey, N. J., & Masters, R. (2017). Driving speed choice: The role of conscious monitoring and control (reinvestment) when driving. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, -online. doi:10.1016/j.trf.2017.06.006
Find more research publications by Samuel Charlton
Attention, memory, skilled performance
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Charlton, AProf Samuel||9225||samiam||K.1.13||School of Psychology|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5 or 9 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 8: dial +64 7 557 extension (TAURANGA exts only)
- Calling between campuses add 37 to the front of the extension
- Emailing email@example.com
- Using the campus map to locate their room