Dr Adrian Pittari
Senior Lecturer in Volcanology
Qualifications: BSc(Hons) Melbourne, PhD Monash
- McLeod, Oliver (in progress). Volcanology of the Alexandra Volcanic Group, North Island, New Zealand.
- Yousefzadeh, Elham (in progress). Giant pyroclastic flows: the physics of an extreme natural hazard.
- Cook, Elizabeth (2016). Felsic volcanism in the eastern Waihi area: Process origins of the Corbett and Ratarua ignimbrites and the Hikurangi Rhyolite.
- Loame, Remedy (2016). Using a tephrostratigraphic framework to determine the past 40,000 years of fault rupture and paleohydrothermal activity on the east strand of the Whirinaki Fault, Ngakuru Graben, central Taupo Volcanic Zone.
- Bodger, Billy (2016). Andesite volcanic facies and hydrothermal alteration in the subsurface peripheral to existing Waihi mine workings (co-supervisor Shaun Barker).
- Mullane, Kevin (2016). Geophysical characterisation of the Onewhero and Kellyville Volcanic Complexes, South Auckland Volcanic Field.
- Simons, Benjamin (2014). Volcanic history and eruption processes of Blue Lake Crater, Tongariro.
- Julian, Hannah (2016). Deposit characteristics and eruption processes of the Owharoa ignimbrite, Waihi caldera.
- Prentice, Marlena (in progress).
- Brink, Megan (2012). Emplacement processes of ignimbrites in the Ongatiti Valley, southeast Te Kuiti.
- Taylor, Simon (2012). Volcanology of the Raventhorpe and Pokeno West Volcanic Complexes, South Auckland Volcanic Field.
- Vincent, Kirsty (2012). U-Pb dating of silicic volcanic rocks of the Eastern Coromandel Peninsula.
- Gibson, April (2012). Volcanology of tuff rings at Kellyville, Onewhero and Bombay, South Auckland Volcanic Field.
- Vestman Andersen, Linda (2011). A comparison of buried andesites at Ngatamariki and Rotokawa geothermal fields, Taupo.
- Matheson, Maree (2015). Eruptions dynamics and hydrological implications of Basaltic Volcanic Centres at Lake Taupo.
Dr. Adrian Pittari joined the staff in the Department of Earth and Ocean Sciences in September 2007. His research is focused on physical volcanological and related volcaniclastic sedimentation processes in both modern and ancient deposits. Current research interests include: monogenetic volcanoes, caldera dynamics, explosive conduit-vent processes, ignimbrite emplacement processes, kimberlite volcanology, and volcaniclastic deposits in sedimentary successions.
Lowe, D. J., & Pittari, A. (Eds.) (2019). Field trip guides 1-4, Geosciences 2019. In Geosciences 2019 Vol. Geoscience Society of New Zealand Miscellaneous Publication (pp. 1-128). Hamilton: Geoscience Society of New Zealand.
Loame, R. C., Villamor, P., Lowe, D. J., Milicich, S. D., Pittari, A., Barker, S. L. L., . . . Ries, W. F. (2019). Using paleoseismology and tephrochronology to reconstruct fault rupturing and hydrothermal activity since c. 40 ka in Taupo Rift, New Zealand. Quaternary International, 500, 52-70. doi:10.1016/j.quaint.2019.02.031 Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/13012
Fox, B., Bates, N., Garrity, F., Murphy, C., Pittari, A., Riesselman, C., & Lee, D. (2019). The Hindon Maar Complex: a high-resolution archive of Mid-Miocene climate variability. In EGU General Assembly 2019. Conference held in Vienna, Austria.
Bardsley, W. E. B., Campbell, D., & Pittari, A. (2019). Detecting changing temporal infiltration patterns after forest clear felling: proposal for a geological weighing lysimeter experiment. Poster session presented at the meeting of NZ Hydrological Society Annual Conference. Conference held in Rotorua, New Zealand.
Find more research publications by Adrian Pittari
Geology; Science; Volcanoes
Contact DetailsEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +64 7 838 4191