Professor Tina A.C. Besley
Professor, Te Whiringa School of Educational Leadership and Policy; Associate Dean International (Education)
Qualifications: PhD; M.Ed (Distinction); B.A.; Dip Ed; Dip Teaching; Counselling Certif
I was appointed Associate Dean International in the Faculty of Education in 2017. Until end of 2017, I was Director, Centre for Global Studies in Education, which I established in 2012.
Having been a NZ secondary school teacher for 16 years (Head of Guidance, Counsellor), I began my academic career as Research Fellow at University of Glasgow, UK in late 2000, then I moved to University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, USA. I have been a Full Professor since appointment in 2006 at California State University, San Bernardino. In 2008 I returned to University of Illinois Urbana Champaign as Research Professor before appointment at Waikato in August 2011. I work closely with Prof. Michael A. Peters and with a wide international network of scholars.
- Philosophy of Education – especially the later work of Michel Foucault, applied to education - subjectivity, free speech, governmentality
- Interculturalism & Global Studies in Education – policy, identities and cultures, academic entrepreneurship in the creative economy, the global knowledge economy
- Education Policy - financialisation, internationalisation
- Youth Studies – globalised identities and digital media cultures
- Counselling – school counselling and narrative therapy
- Global studies
- Social and political issues in education
- Philosophy of Education
- 2017 -19 Visiting Distinguished Professor, Zhengzhou Universiity, China
- 2011- ongoing Adjunct Professor, College of Education, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign, USA
- 2010 Adjunct Professor, Guangzhou University, China
Academic and Professional Leadership Roles
- President, Philosophy of Education Society of Australasia (PESA)
- President, Association for Visual Pedagogies (AVP)
- Associate Editor: Educational Philosophy and Theory, 2010 - present; E-Learning and Digital Media: Video Journal of Education and Pedagogy; Encyclopedia of Educational Philosophy and Theory.
- International Advisory Board, British Journal of Guidance & Counselling
- Editorial Boards: ACCESS – Critical Perspectives on Communication, Cultural and Policy Studies; Policy Futures in Education; Review of Contemporary Philosophy; New Zealand Journal of Counselling; Knowledge Cultures
- Book Series Co-editor:Global Studies in Education (New York, Peter Lang Publishers); Key Critical Thinkers in Education (Rotterdam: Sense Publishers); Critical Education Policy and Politics (Rowman & Littlefield); Counselling and Student Cultures: New Perspectives (Rotterdam: Sense Publishers)
- Executive Committee, Philosophy of Education Society of Australasia, 2010 – present
- Member New Zealand Association of Counsellors (MNZAC) since 1990
- Organiser of 4 conferences (Creative University; Freire: The Global Legacy; Children in Crisis, all for the Centre for Global Studies in Education; PESA 2014) .
- 2014 Fellow Philosophy of Education Society of Australasia (FPESA)
- Fellow Royal Society of Arts (UK) (FRSA)
- American Educational Studies Association Critics Choice Book Award, 2009: Besley, A.C. & Peters, M. A. (2007). Subjectivity and Truth: Foucault, Education and the Culture of Self. New York: Peter Lang.
- Faculty Fellows Award, Academy for Entrepreneurial Leadership, College of Business, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2009 - present
- California State University San Bernardino, Collaborating through Team Teaching Grant Award, 2007
- California State University San Bernardino, College of Education, Outstanding Faculty Professional Growth Award, 2007
PhD Chief Supervisor:
- S.K. Arndt (2017) Teacher otherness in early childhood education: Rethinking uncertainty and difference through a Kristevan lens.
- “It’s all sorted now isn’t it?”: Gender discourses in the New Zealand Early Education Sector
- An evaluation in quality management of transnational undergraduate programs in Vietnam
- Assessing the Institutional Functioning and Academic Quality of Sub-Campuses of the Universities of the Punjab
- Cultural efficacy and Pasifika students
- Intercultural skills for young people in digital media culture: Implication of Korean Wave in globalised world.
- An analysis of community colleges within Malaysian higher education: Goals, contributions and challenges.
- The Metaphysics of Quality: an enquiry into in Higher Education in New Zealand
Philosophy of Education; Education Policy & Politics; Education Research; Globalisation; Interculturalism, Morals and Ethics; Subjectivity; Sociology and Education; Social Justice; Youth; Counselling
Peters, M. A., & Besley, T. (2018). Weinstein, sexual predation, and ‘Rape Culture’: Public pedagogies and Hashtag Internet activism. Educational Philosophy and Theory, 1-7. doi:10.1080/00131857.2018.1427850
Jandrić, P., Knox, J., Besley, T., Ryberg, T., Suoranta, J., & Hayes, S. (2018). Postdigital science and education. Educational Philosophy and Theory, 50(10), 893-899. doi:10.1080/00131857.2018.1454000
Peters, M. A., & Besley, T. (2018). China’s double first-class university strategy: 双一流. Educational Philosophy and Theory, 1-5. doi:10.1080/00131857.2018.1438822
Peters, M. A., Rider, S., Hyvönen, M., & Besley, T. (Eds.) (2018). Post-truth, fake news viral modernity & higher education. https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811080128: Springer.
Find more research publications by Tina Besley
Counselling; Education; Education Policy; Education Politics; Education Research; Globalisation; Learning Environment; Morals and Ethics; Philosophy; Social Sciences and Education; Sociology and Education; Youth