Dr Charles K. Lee
Senior Lecturer (Biological Sciences)
Director (DNA Sequencing)
Associate Director (ICTAR)
Qualifications: BSc (Life Science) Tsing-Hua Taiwan, PhD Waikato
Personal Website: https://goo.gl/Yqkbst
- Abbaszadeh, Jaber (pending): Geomorphologic Drivers of Microbial Ecology in Terrestrial Antarctica.
- Cabria, Gamaliel Lysander (in progress): Understanding the Influence of Horizontal Gene Transfer on Intra-Species Genomic Variations in Natural Bacterial Communities.
- Monteiro, Maria (in progress): Microbial nitrification in Antarctic Dry Valleys. (chief supervisor Craig Cary).
- Wakerley, Georgia (in progress): Human impact on the McMurdo Dry Valley soils of Antarctica: extending the limits of forensic DNA detection. (chief supervisor Craig Cary).
- Payyakkal Viswam, Jayadev (2016): The role of the gut microbiome of the Huhu grub in lignocellulose breakdown. (chief supervisor Ian McDonald).
- Punjabi, Bhavna (in progress): TBC
- Noble, Anya (2018): Environmental and biogeographical drivers of the Leptospermum scoparium (mānuka) phyllosphere microbiome.
- Hu, Xiaoxue (2017): Genetic tool to detect three New Zealand freshwater mussels (Echyridella menziesii, Echyridella aucklandica, Echyridella onekaka) in environmental DNA.
- Juwono, Joshua (2017): Enhancement of “flavours” through enzymatic release of glutamate.
I study the microbial ecology and microbial genomics of a wide range of unusual ecosystems, including terrestrial geothermal habitats and the Antarctic Dry Valleys, using molecular genetic and bioinformatic tools. I also have active research projects on the microbial ecology of plant-, animal-, and human-associated habitats.
I'm interested in the development and validation of novel molecular techniques and bioinformatic analyses, and I use them in conjunction with geochemistry to examine the interactions between microbial communities and their environments.
View my Google Scholar profile here.
MacIntyre, C., Risk, D., Lee, C. K., & Cary, S. C. (2019). Processes driving soil CO<inf>2</inf> temporal variability in Antarctic Dry Valleys. Geoderma, 337, 871-879. doi:10.1016/j.geoderma.2018.09.050
Lear, G., Dickie, I., Banks, J., Boyer, S., Buckley, H. L., Buckley, T. R., . . . Holdaway, R. (2018). Methods for the extraction, storage, amplification and sequencing of DNA from environmental samples. New Zealand Journal of Ecology, 42(1). doi:10.20417/nzjecol.42.9 Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/11732
Power, J., Carere, C., Lee, C., Wakerley, G., Evans, D., Button, M., . . . Stott, M. (2018). Microbial biogeography of 925 geothermal springs in New Zealand. Nature Communications, 9(1). doi:10.1038/s41467-018-05020-y Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/12013
Lee, K. C., Caruso, T., Archer, S. D. J., Gillman, L. N., Lau, M. C. Y., Cary, S. C., . . . Pointing, S. B. (2018). Stochastic and Deterministic Effects of a Moisture Gradient on Soil Microbial Communities in the McMurdo Dry Valleys of Antarctica. FRONTIERS IN MICROBIOLOGY, 9, 12 pages. doi:10.3389/fmicb.2018.02619
Find more research publications by Charles Lee
Antarctica; Biochemistry; Biotechnology; Environmental Biochemistry; Microbiology
Contact DetailsEmail: email@example.com
Phone: +64 7 838 4241