Mr. Derek Shafer
Qualifications: MProfStudEd, GradDip.Tch,BA
Derek has joined the University of Waikato with a background of Teaching English in New Zealand Secondary Schools. Derek’s work as a classroom specialist in critical thinking, digital literacy, and student engagement developed into broader interests in working with teachers across New Zealand schools engaging with best practice in critical thinking.
Within Te Hononga Curriculum and Pedagogy, Derek teaches issues of Professional Practice, Literacy across the Curriculum, and Teaching Secondary English for the Bachelor of Teaching and Graduate Diploma of Teaching programmes. He is currently completing his Doctorate with the University of Auckland on the strengthening of critical thinking and critical pedagogy in Secondary Teaching.
Shafer, D. (2019). Towards a model of best practice in facilitating critical thinking in secondary education.. In Te KuraToi Tangata Reserach Colloquium. Hamilton.
Shafer, D. (2017). Teaching the classroom to transgress: Critical thinking in secondary education.. In Australian Association for Research in Education. Conference held at Canberra, Australia.
Shafer, D. (2015). Critical Thinking: Lip service or practice?. (Master's Thesis, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand).
Shafer, D. (2015). Critical thinking - lip service or practice?: An investigation into three secondary english teacher's beliefs around the role of critical thinking in senior english courses.. In Doctoral and Postgraduate Symposium (pp. 22). Conference held at the University of Auckland, Epsom, New Zealand.
Find more research publications by Derek Shafer
Education; Education Research; Literacy Learning; Social Sciences and Education; Teacher Education; Teacher Practice/Practicum; Teaching and Learning
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Shafer, Mr Derek||9709||dshafer||TC.3.27||Education, School of (SOE)|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5, 9 or 3 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 3: dial +64 7 2620 + the last 3 digits of the extension  e.g. 3123 = +64 7 262 0123
- Emailing email@example.com
- Using the campus map to locate their room