Dr Harish Devaraj
Qualifications: PhD (Uni of Auckland), ME - Research (Uni of Auckland)
Topics: Mechatronics, Medical devices, Mechanical Engineering
- Sean Haisley : Improving flight dynamics of UAVs (ongoing)
- Tim Oliver : ANN based adaptive systems for vehicles (ongoing - co-supervisor)
- Tim Sun: Redesign of autonomous aerial vehicle for payload stability (ongoing)
- David McCauley: Design & Development of Sensor integrated actuators
- Dynamic analysis of thermal conditions during cardiac surgeries
The focus of my research is on making of novel sensors and actuators for a wide range of applications with emphasis on sensors for medical applications and agricultural robotics. With a special emphasis on using 'smart and functional materials' in developing sensors and actuators, I encourage interdisciplinary approach to develop knowledge and bring together the advancements from across various fields (chemistry, biology, electronics) into the design.
With the need for manipulating and fabricating sensors and actuators from these smart materials, my research also focuses on development of novel fabrication techniques that can suitably handle these smart materials to preserve their functional properties. In these lines, development of 4D printing capabilities is also my area of research.
My research areas are
- Developing novel sensing techniques (biomedical sensing, force, torque, pressure, strain, flow and optical)
- 4D printing of SIA (sensor integrated actuator) designs.
- Wearable medical devices.
- Rehabilitation robots (exoskeletons).
- Process automation.
- Environment mapping (SLAM).
- UAV flight dynamics.
Yellapantula, K., Devaraj, H., Assadian, M., Stuart, L., Lo, C. Y., Gan, W. C., & Aw, K. (2020). Soft and flexible sensor array using carbon black pillars for object recognition via pressure mapping. Measurement: Journal of the International Measurement Confederation, 159. doi:10.1016/j.measurement.2020.107781
Dang, Y., Devaraj, H., Stommel, M., Cheng, L. K., McDaid, A. J., & Xu, W. (2020). Experimental investigation into the dynamics of a radially contracting actuator with embedded sensing capability. Soft Robotics. doi:10.1089/soro.2019.0064
Devaraj, H., Aw, K. C., & McDaid, A. J. (2019). Review of functional materials for potential use as wearable infection sensors in limb prostheses. Biomedical Engineering Letters. doi:10.1007/s13534-019-00132-w
Teo, M. Y., Stuart, L., Devaraj, H., Liu, C. Y., Aw, K. C., & Stringer, J. (2019). The: In situ synthesis of conductive polyaniline patterns using micro-reactive inkjet printing. Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 7(8), 2219-2224. doi:10.1039/c8tc06485g
Find more research publications by Harish Devaraj
Computer Graphic Design; Computing; Electronics; Engineering; Human Computer Interaction; Imaging; Mechanical; Product Design; Technology
Contact DetailsEmail: [email protected]
Phone: +64 7 838 4292