Ms Judy Bailey
Qualifications: Master of Education University of Waikato Diploma of Teaching NZ Department of Education Bachelor of Science University of Waikato
Researcher (Mathematics Education) - Technology, Environmental, Mathematics, and Science Education Research Centre Programme Co-ordinator (GradDipT Hamilton & MMP) - Office of Initial Teacher Education and Undergraduate Studies Senior Lecturer - Te Hononga School of Curriculum and Pedagogy
I am currently supervising a number of Masters students researching a range of topics including the affordances and constraints teachers face when learning to teach mathematics through problem solving, the use of materials in supporting young children's learning in mathematics, and peer tutoring.
Current research interests include:
- ongoing examination of the use of mathematical investigations with pre-service teachers;
- examining differing conceptions of mathematics, how these might impact on teaching, and exploring ideas for teaching mathematics from a constructive and creative perspective. This research stems from a concern for those learners who have been marginalised in their experiences of learning mathematics.
- professional support for primary mathematics teachers.
- pre-service teacher education
- Judy has also been part of a team that researched pre-service teachers' understandings and implementation of the New Zealand Curriculum document in their mathematics teaching.
Bailey, J. (2019). Teaching mathematics creatively: Using problems and rich tasks. Ipu Kererū. Retrieved from https://nzareblog.wordpress.com/2019/07/11/math-problems/
Bailey, J. (2019). Beginning teachers learning to embed problem-solving in primary mathematics programmes. In Colloquium, Division of Education, University of Waikato, Hamilton..
Bailey, J. (2019). Learning to problem solve in primary mathematics: What enabled and challenged beginning teachers. In Mathematics and Statistics Education Research Symposium. Wellington, New Zealand.
Bailey, J. (2019). Beginning teachers learning to embed problem-solving in primary mathematics. In TEMS Autumn Series, Division of Education, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand.
Find more research publications by Judy Bailey
Mathematics Education; Teacher Education; Teaching
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Bailey, Ms Judy||7742||jlbailey||TL.4.02||Education, School of (SOE)|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5, 9 or 3 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 3: dial +64 7 2620 + the last 3 digits of the extension  e.g. 3123 = +64 7 262 0123
- Emailing email@example.com
- Using the campus map to locate their room