Dr Johanna Schmidt
Qualifications: PhD Auckland
Current PhD supervisions
- Juliana Brown (Psychology), 'Ally training programme & network: Creating a space of inclusion and support for takatapui and LGBTIQ+ staff and students at the University of Waikato'.
- Fungai Mhalanga (Sociology), 'Digging through community gardens: An investigation of the social benefits of community gardens'.
- Kar Tou Tan (Psychology) 'New Zealand Transgender Health Survey with a mental health focus'.
- Lynley Uerata (Sociology), 'Flourishing in precarity: Four cases of Maaori households in Hamilton, New Zealand'.
Completed Masters supervisions
- Dalwinder Sandhu (60 point thesis, Social Policy, completed 2020) An overview of how Aotearoa/New Zealand’s domestic violence policy accommodates an Indian cultural perspective
- Juliana Brown (60 point dissertation, Psychology, completed 2016), '"We're like the sex CPR dummies": Negotiating (heteros)ex in a university residential setting'.
Tan, K. K. H., Schmidt, J. M., Ellis, S. J., Veale, J. F., & Byrne, J. L. (2021). ‘It’s how the world around you treats you for being trans’: mental health and wellbeing of transgender people in Aotearoa New Zealand. Psychology & Sexuality, 1-13. doi:10.1080/19419899.2021.1897033 Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/14208
Tan, K. K. H., Treharne, G. J., Ellis, S. J., Schmidt, J. M., & Veale, J. F. (2020). Enacted stigma experiences and protective factors are strongly associated with mental health outcomes of transgender people in Aotearoa/New Zealand. International Journal of Transgender Health. doi:10.1080/15532739.2020.1819504
Tan, K. K. H., Schmidt, J. M., Ellis, S. J., & Veale, J. F. (2020). Mental health of trans and gender diverse people in Aotearoa/New Zealand: A review of the social determinants of inequities. New Zealand Journal of Psychology, 64-72. Retrieved from https://www.psychology.org.nz/
Brown, J., Schmidt, J., & Veale, J. (2020). Reasons for (in)visibility on the university campus: Experiences of gender, sex and sexuality diverse staff and students. New Zealand Sociology, 35(1), 153-175.
Find more research publications by Johanna Schmidt
Gender; New Zealand Music
Sexuality, with a focus on marginalised sexualities; Gender, with a focus on marginalised genders; Transgender, with a Pacific focus; Gender and parenting
Contact DetailsEmail: [email protected]
Phone: ext 9365