Dr Kiri Joy Wallace
Qualifications: BSc (U. of Delaware), MSc (U. of Delaware), PhD (U. of Waikato)
Personal Website: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Kiri_Wallace
About Kiri Joy
I am passionate about restoration of native ecosystems, especially in urban areas. Going hand-in-hand with that, I like to restore people's connection with nature, helping them enjoy and benefit from it! Research involving society and the environment sparks my interest and allows me to shine, whatever a specific project may entail.
Thank you for any interest you may have in my research group but I am not currently taking any new students.
- Rai, Bibishan (in progress). Restoring the structure, stability and functioning of soil food webs in urban forests in New Zealand.
- Hasan, Fevziye (in progress). Investigating species traits, interactions, and ecosystem services of novel dung beetle communities in New Zealand grasslands
- Mitchell, Grace (in progress).
- Hall, Monique (2020). First Class Honours. Enrichment planting of late successional plant species within restored urban forests.
- Busbridge, Sarah (2020). First Class Honours. Urban forest restoration ecology: Factors influencing native tree regeneration and practitioner decision-making processes.
- de Silva, Kat (2019). Temporal Development and Regeneration Dynamics of Restored Urban Forests. (co-supervised at Victoria University of Wellington)
I have a specific interest in urban forest restoration ecology and am a Plantings Research Aim Leader in the MBIE funded research programme People, Cities & Nature.
I am also a co-lead of the BioHeritage Eco-index for Aotearoa programme.
A related thread of my work involves socio-ecological research through the BioHeritage Pathways to Ecosystem Regeneration programme.
Breed, M. F., Cross, A. T., Wallace, K., Bradby, K., Flies, E., Goodwin, N., . . . Aronson, J. (2020). Ecosystem restoration: A public health intervention. EcoHealth, 3 pages. doi:10.1007/s10393-020-01480-1 Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/13731
Forbes, A. S., Wallace, K. J., Buckley, H. L., Case, B. S., Clarkson, B. D., & Norton, D. A. (2020). Restoring mature-phase forest tree species through enrichment planting in New Zealand’s lowland landscapes. New Zealand Journal of Ecology, 44(1). doi:10.20417/nzjecol.44.10
Hall, M. M., Wehi, P. M., Whaanga, H., Walker, E. T., Koia, J. H., & Wallace, K. J. (2020). Promoting social and environmental justice to support Indigenous partnerships in urban ecosystem restoration. Restoration Ecology. doi:10.1111/rec.13305
Wallace, K. J., & Clarkson, B. D. (2019). Urban forest restoration ecology: a review from Hamilton, New Zealand. Journal of the Royal Society of New Zealand. doi:10.1080/03036758.2019.1637352
Biology; Ecology; Environment; Environmental Impacts
Restoration Ecology, Urban Ecology, Forest Ecology
Contact DetailsEmail: [email protected]
Phone: +64 7 838 4466 Ext 6585