Dr Linda Peters
Qualifications: BSc(Hons) Victoria PhD Waikato
Personal Website: https://nz.linkedin.com/in/linda-peters-96a53674
I have lectured primarily in the area of molecular biology and genetics since joining the Department of Biological Sciences in 2011. In addition, I present guest lectures in physiology (BIOL235) and Bioinformatics (COMP555).
I have established an active student research laboratory with a range of topics and really enjoy helping the postgrads engage and develop as scientists. New to my lab is a 3D bioprinter. I have two MSc students, Andrew Howard and Shalini Guleria, that are developing in vitro 3D breast cancer models.
- Forrester-Gauntlett, Blaise (submitted). Using Pluripotent stem cells for determining the cellular basis of hearing loss.
- Ketel, Julian (2016). The biocidal activity of Manuka Cyclopower against strains of methicillin-resistant and sensitive Staphylococcus aureus in the anterior nostrils.
- McCleary, Sharna (2020). Genetic methodologies to support the bioremediation of the New Zealand Kopeopeo Canal.
- Boby, Varsha (2020). Evaluation of molecular tests for the detection of subclinical mastitis in dairy cows.
- Guleria, Shalini (2019). Development of an in vitro human thre-dimensional bioprinted breast tumour model.
- Howard, Andrew (2019). Differential expression of selenium treated breast cancer cells using a 2D and 3D model.
- Ko, Yi-An Annie (2016). Differential effects of organic vs inorganic selenium species on BRCA1-mutated and non-mutated breast cancer cell lines.
- Stayte, Liam (2016). General anaesthetic modulation of gene expression in the mouse brain.
- Wightman, Patrick (2017). Investigation into the role of a rare germline CDKN1B variant in a patient with acromegaly.
- Appleby, Sarah (2016). Using putative bovine embryonic stem cell-like cells for nuclear transfer cloning to determine their functional potential.
- Bell, Laura (2015). General anaesthetic modulation of memory-related gene expression in the cerebral cortex.
- Chibnall, Alice (2015). Doxycycline-inducible overexpression of NANOG in bovine fibroblasts and nuclear transfer embryos.
- Hardie, Sarah (2015). Expression and purification of recombinant VMO1 protein.
- Mayall, Kirsty (2015). In vitro effects of selenium on DNA damage in BRCA1 cell lines.
- Wilson, Brooke (2015). MicroRNA-mediated silencing of bovine NANOG and MBD3.
- Sagvekar, Pranjali (2018). Functional analysis of Vitelline Membrane Outer Layer 1 (VMO1)
- Azzam, Manar (2018). Genetic & molecular evaluation of the deafness gene, Grainyhead-like 2.
- Li, Zehan (2018). General anaesthetic modulation of protein expression in the mouse brain.
- Spaans, Olivia (2018). Cow breed, stocking rate, and calving date affect the profitability of pasture-based dairy farms.
- Crossan, Hannah (2014). Characterisation of VM01 in human tissue
- Forrester-Gauntlett, Blaise (2013).Developmental gene expression profile of VMO-1 in the mouse auditory system.
- Mclean, Zachariah (2015). Increased MAP Kinase inhibition enhances epiblast-specific gene expression in bovine blastocyst.
- Ho, Chze Yinn Cherinne (2014). Characterization of Vmo1 using zebrafish as model organism, with focus on the gene involvement in hearing.
My research focus is Human Molecular Genetics. This involves identifying genetic changes that contribute to hereditary disorders common in New Zealand and will provide further insight into the molecular and cellular mechanisms that cause these observable phenotypic changes (ie, characteristic changes).
This research will involve using a variety of bioinformatic, genetic, cell and molecular biology techniques. All research students acquire basic research skills and a knowledge of techniques, as well as training in specialist disciplines.
I have research collaborations with AgResearch and Waikato Hospital.
Alqattan, M., Alshammari, Y., Yang, F., Peters, L., & Bolzoni, L. (2021). Biomedical Ti-Cu-Mn alloys with antibacterial capability. Journal of Materials Research and Technology, 10, 1020-1028. doi:10.1016/j.jmrt.2020.12.044 Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/14080
Kou, S. G., Peters, L. M., & Mucalo, M. R. (2021). Chitosan: A review of sources and preparation methods. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 169, 85-94. doi:10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2020.12.005 Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/14259
Alqattan, M., Peters, L., Alshammari, Y., Yang, F., & Bolzoni, L. (2020). Antibacterial Ti-Mn-Cu alloys for biomedical applications. Regenerative Biomaterials, 8(1), 8 pages. doi:10.1093/rb/rbaa050 Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/14175
Bolzoni, L., Alqattan, M., Peters, L., Alshammari, Y., & Yang, F. (2020). Ternary Ti alloys functionalised with antibacterial activity. Scientific Reports, 10(1), 13 pages. doi:10.1038/s41598-020-79192-3 Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/14060
Find more research publications by Linda Peters
Biochemistry; Biology; Biotechnology; Genetics; Health; Molecular Biology
Contact DetailsEmail: [email protected]
Phone: +64 7 858 5110