Professor Mere A Berryman
Director of Poutama Pounamu
Qualifications: PhD, M Ed with first class honours, B Ed
Personal Website: https://poutamapounamu.org.nz/
Iwi: Ngāi Tūhoe, Ngāti Awa, Ngāti Whare
In my work, I aim to challenge the pervasive and historical discourses that perpetuate educational disparities for Māori students and disrupt these through school leadership and reform initiatives. In my research, I combine understandings from kaupapa Māori and critical theories and I have published widely in this field. In 2016, I was a recipient of the New Zealand Honour, Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit for services to education and to Māori in education.
Kaupapa Māori and Critical theories; Culturally Responsive Methodologies; Relational and Responsive inclusion; School and Home-community relationships; Cultural Relationships for Responsive Pedagogy.
Berryman, M. (2020). Teacher-student relationships. In Oxford Bibliographies. Oxford Press. doi:10.1093/OBO/9780199756810-0232
Townsend, T., Berryman, M., Gurr, D., & Drysdale, L. (2020). Leadership for learning in diverse settings: School leaders setting the agenda. In J. Hall, A. Lindorff, & P. Sammons (Eds.), International Perspectives in Educational Effectiveness Research (pp. 327-359). Springer. doi:10.1007/978-3-030-44810-3_12
Berryman, M. (2019). Lead to succeed: Relational and responsive inclusion. In Bay of Plenty Secondary Schools Assistant and Deputy Principals’ Conference. Tauranga, New Zealand.
Berryman, M. (2019). Keynote: Poutama Pounamu vision for Māori in education 1980s to 2040. In Vision Ranginui, Iwi Symposium. Tauranga, New Zealand.
Find more research publications by Mere Berryman
Assessment and Evaluation in Education; Culture; Education; Education Policy; Education Research; Inclusive Education; Indigenous Education; Leadership; Learning and Education; Maori Development and Education; Reform in Education; Te Kotahitanga; Teacher Education; Teacher Professional Learning/Development; Teaching and Learning
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Berryman, Prof Mere||3567||mere||TCBD.4.03D||Education, School of (SOE)|
|Berryman, Prof Mere||3567||mere||TCBD.4.03D||Poutama Pounamu|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5, 9 or 3 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 51 or 52: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 53: dial +64 7 577 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 3: dial +64 7 2620 + the last 3 digits of the extension  e.g. 3123 = +64 7 262 0123
- Emailing email@example.com
- Using the hamilton campus map to locate their room