Qualifications: BA (Uni of SPac), M.App. Ling (Uni.of SQueensland)
Noa’ia ‘e mauri (that’s ‘Hello’ in my mother tongue Rotuman). I taught academic language skills at the University of the South Pacific (Suva, Fiji) for a number of years before I moved to New Zealand in 2007. Before joining the UoW, I worked at educational institutions such as WINTEC (Learning Works) and the Waikato Regional Council in course development and training coordination roles.
I am interested in inter-disciplinary studies and enjoy making connections and joining dots between strange and reluctant things and then applying these connections to teaching and learning. For example, can we teach critical thinking (life/academic skill) through poetry (Literature)? Can we demonstrate paragraph cohesion (language/academic skill) using molecular models (Science). If so, how?
I am also a poet and flash fiction writer and have been published in a number of creative writing anthologies and journals (online and print) both locally and internationally.
Inter-disciplinary studies, Language education, Syllabus design and materials writing, Creative writing, Poetry, Flash fiction, Rotuman language maintenance
Arts and Language Education; Bilingualism; English; Linguistics; Pacific Issues; Teaching; Teaching and Learning; Teaching English as a second language/English as an additional language
|Name||  ||Extn.||  ||Username||  ||Room||  ||Department|
|Taito, Ms Mere||9187||mtaito||M.1.04||Centre for Tertiary Teaching & Learning|
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension
- Extensions starting with 4, 5, 9 or 3 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension
- For extensions starting with 3: dial +64 7 2620 + the last 3 digits of the extension  e.g. 3123 = +64 7 262 0123
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Using the campus map to locate their room