Associate Professor Pawel K. Olszewski
Associate Professor (Physiology)
Qualifications: PhD Cracow-Minnesota (joint program)
My laboratory studies molecular mechanisms that underlie food intake and pharmacological and dietary strategies that change appetite. We focus on the interplay between brain signalling that promotes consumption (e.g., via reward) and satiety-inducing systems that keep food intake within safe limits (e.g. oxytocin, melanocortins). We are interested in how experimental drugs, dietary modifications and changes in social environment affect feeding. The majority of our work involves studying brain activation, gene expression, as well as determining effects of specialized diets, intracranial and peripheral drugs and genetic modification on feeding parameters in laboratory animal models (rats, mice).
Aside from being part of the University of Waikato, I serve as:
Adjunct Associate Professor; Department of Food Science and Nutrition, CFANS, University of Minnesota, St. Paul, MN, USA (http://fscn.cfans.umn.edu)
Associate Investigator; Maurice Wilkins Centre (http://www.mauricewilkinscentre.org)
Our research is supported by government agencies, charitable trusts and industry players in New Zealand and overseas. Key funding sources include:
Royal Society of New Zealand
Dairy Goat Cooperative
US National Institutes of Health
US Department of Veterans' Affairs
Medical Research Kirikiriroa Charitable Trust
Key representative publications:
Effect of oxytocin on hunger discrimination. MA Head MA, Jewett DC, Gartner SN, Klockars A, Levine AS, Olszewski PK. Frontiers in Endocrinology. 2019; 10, 297
Intragastric preloads of l-tryptophan reduce ingestive behavior via oxytocinergic neural mechanisms in male mice. Gartner SN, Aidney F, Klockars A, Prosser C, Carpenter EA, Isgrove K, Levine AS, Olszewski PK. Appetite. 2018;125:278-286.
Oxytocin acting in the nucleus accumbens core decreases food intake. Herisson FM, Waas JR, Fredriksson R, Schiöth HB, Levine AS, Olszewski PK. Journal of Neuroendocrinology. 2016; 28(4). doi: 10.1111/jne.12381.
Synaptic changes induced by melanocortin signalling. Caruso V, Lagerström MC, Olszewski PK, Fredriksson R, Schiöth HB. Nature Rev Neurosci. 2014;15(2):98-110
- Head, Mitchell (in progress). Identification of CNS pathways involved in mediation of oxytocin's effect on appetite.
- Wood, Erin (in progress). Neural and molecular consequences of ingestion of milk-based diets.
- Klockars, Oscar (2019). Identification of central circuitry components mediating anorexigenic action of oxytocin.
- Gartner, Sarah (2018). Characterisation of an acute anorexigenic action of l-tryptophan: a link with neural mechanisms regulating appetite.
- Herisson, Florence (2016). Oxytocin as an appetite suppressant that reduces feeding reward.
Supervisory panel member:
- Ulrich, Christine (2017). Comparative hypoxia responses and oxygen sensing in galaxiid fishes.
- Salvitti, Lauren (2015). Elucidating the origin of tetrodotoxin in Pleurobranchaea maculata and stylochoplana sp.
- Arafat, Mohammad (2019). Anorexic action and underlying neural mechanism of the lipid-based satiety factor oleoylethanolamide on milk consumption. (chief supervisor)
- McColl, Laura (2017). Effects of naltrexone on energy- and palatability-driven consumption and neuronal activation in feeding-related forebrain areas: Relationship with age. (chief supervisor)
- Isgrove, Kiriana (2017). Identification of central mechanisms underlying statin-induced changes in consummatory behavior in rats. (chief supervisor)
- Laloli, Kathryn (2017). Neuroendocrine changes uderlying aberrant food selectivity in rat models of autism spectrum disorder. (supervisor)
- Aidney, Fraser (2016). Dietary supplementation and intragastric infusions of L-tryptophan reduce food intake. (chief supervisor)
- Blaza, Ron (2016). Exposure to familiar versus novel conspecifics is associated with differential activity of oxytocin circuits. (chief supervisor)
- Brunton Chloe (2016). Social interaction affects the acquisition of lithium chloride-induced conditioned taste aversion via alteration of oxytocin activity in the hypothalamus. (chief supervisor)
- Gerring, Crystal (2016). Oxytocin and vasopressin neuronal activity in response to novel object exposure in mice. (chief supervisor)
- Churchill, Geoff (2014). Gossypol's effects on ingestive behaviour in mice: The first step in a systematic process to define gossypol's suitability for use in murine pest management. (chief supervisor)
- Alhamad, Ali Hamad (2013). Validation of the Children's Eating Behaviour Questionnaire (CEBQ) in the population of Saudi preschoolers. (chief supervisor)
- Wood, Erin (2017). Analgesia in rats after central injections into the RIAC of ketamine analogues.
- Christian, David (2014). Connexin 36 as a regulator of consummatory behaviour. (chief supervisor)
- Blaza, Ron (2014). Involvement of connexin-36 in taste aversion: lack of association with changes in activity of the nucleus of the solitary tract. (chief supervisor)
Lawson, E. A., Olszewski, P. K., Weller, A., & Blevins, J. E. (2019). The role of oxytocin in regulation of appetitive behaviour, body weight and glucose homeostasis. Journal of Neuroendocrinology. doi:10.1111/jne.12805
Jacobson, G. M., Voss, L. J., Klockars, A., Bird, S., Dimitrov, I., Denny, W. A., . . . Harvey, M. G. (2019). Transcriptional changes in response to ketamine ester-analogs SN 35210 and SN 35563 in the rat brain. BMC Genomics, 20(1), 10 pages. doi:10.1186/s12864-019-5649-6 Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/12585
Head, M. A., Jewett, D. C., Gartner, S. N., Klockars, A., Levine, A. S., & Olszewski, P. K. (2019). Effect of oxytocin on hunger discrimination. Frontiers in Endocrinology, 10(MAY). doi:10.3389/fendo.2019.00297 Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/12925
Klockars, A., Wood, E. L., Gartner, S. N., McColl, L. K., Levine, A. S., Carpenter, E. A., . . . Olszewski, P. K. (2019). Palatability of goat’s versus cow’s milk: Insights from the analysis of eating behavior and gene expression in the appetite-relevant brain circuit in laboratory animal models. Nutrients, 11(4), 19 pages. doi:10.3390/nu11040720 Open Access version: https://hdl.handle.net/10289/12555
Find more research publications by Pawel Olszewski
Biology; Genetics; Health; Molecular Biology; Science
obesity, anorexia, neuroscience, brain
Contact DetailsEmail: email@example.com
Phone: +64 7 838 4658
Cellphone: +64 221345415